Shark nets in NSW to be pulled down earlier in attempt to save more turtles

Shark nets in NSW will be brought down earlier than usual with the government saying it’s trying and protect other marine life that could get trapped. Shark nets in NSW will come down a month earlier this season as authorities try to strike a balance between protecting people as well as marine life. Citing an
Shark nets in NSW to be pulled down earlier in attempt to save more turtles

Shark nets in NSW will be brought down earlier than usual with the government saying it’s trying and protect other marine life that could get trapped.

Shark nets in NSW will come down a month earlier this season as authorities try to strike a balance between protecting people as well as marine life.

Citing an increase in turtle activity in April, the state government will trial scrapping the nets on March 31.

It will also consult with councils regarding shark management with an eye towards empowering local decision-making on the use of nets.

Other trials include inspecting the nets every two days instead of every three, with more drone usage on the days the nets aren’t being inspected to scope for turtles that might have become trapped.

Shark nets in NSW will come down a month earlier this season (pictured, shark net at beach in Mosman, Sydney)

Shark nets in NSW will come down a month earlier this season (pictured, shark net at beach in Mosman, Sydney)

Authorities said they are trying to strike a balance between protecting people as well as marine life (pictured, whale tangled in a shark net off Noosa, in Queensland)

Authorities said they are trying to strike a balance between protecting people as well as marine life (pictured, whale tangled in a shark net off Noosa, in Queensland)

Lights will also be used on the nets in February and March to deter turtles, with dolphin pingers and whale alarms to be fitted for the safety of those mammals.

Agriculture Minister Tara Moriarty said keeping beach-goers safe was the priority, but striking a balance that protects sea life too was key.

‘Importantly, this year we have responded to community feedback and taken significant steps to increase the program’s safeguards for marine animals,’ she said on Wednesday.

‘As we map the future of this program we will listen to local communities, and consider the best available evidence to ensure we are striking the right balance at our beaches.’

Drone surveillance, listening stations for tagged sharks and drumlines will all be used in the state’s $21.5 million shark management program.

The government said more than 2,000 sharks have been tagged and are monitored by the listening stations.

Total
0
Shares
Leave a Reply
Related Posts
Moment paedophile who pushed boy off cliff to ‘silence him’ after raping his sister lies about warning youngster away from 100ft drop – as vile predator is jailed
Read More

Moment paedophile who pushed boy off cliff to ‘silence him’ after raping his sister lies about warning youngster away from 100ft drop – as vile predator is jailed

This is the moment a paedophile lied about trying to save a 10-year-old boy moments after throwing him 100ft off a cliff to try and 'silence him' after raping his 12-year-old sister.  Anthony Stocks, 54, who was today jailed for life with a minimum term of 19 and a half years, had groomed the girl and made
Travis Scott Arrested In Paris Over Fight With His Bodyguard
Read More

Travis Scott Arrested In Paris Over Fight With His Bodyguard

Forbes Business Breaking Travis Scott Arrested In Paris Over Fight With His Bodyguard Mary Whitfill Roeloffs Forbes Staff Mary Roeloffs is a Forbes breaking news reporter covering pop culture. Following Aug 9, 2024, 08:48am EDT Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Share to Linkedin Topline Rapper Travis Scott was arrested in Paris after an alleged
Harry and Charles’ deepening rift: Insiders close to the Prince claim King no longer answers his calls amid growing tension over Duke’s security battle
Read More

Harry and Charles’ deepening rift: Insiders close to the Prince claim King no longer answers his calls amid growing tension over Duke’s security battle

Friends of Prince Harry today claimed King Charles III is no longer answering his estranged son's calls or responding to his letters as their rift deepens. The Duke of Sussex and Charles last saw each other in person in February when they met for 45 minutes in London following the monarch's cancer diagnosis. But sources close to Harry