Maduro warns he’ll call for a ‘new revolution’ if forced by ‘North American imperialism’

CNN  —  Venezuela’s President Nicolas Maduro warned Wednesday that he will not hesitate to call on the population for a “new revolution” if forced by what he calls “North American imperialism and fascist criminals.” Maduro’s comments come amid deadly protests across the country following its disputed presidential election victory, which the US and several other
Maduro warns he’ll call for a ‘new revolution’ if forced by ‘North American imperialism’


CNN
 — 

Venezuela’s President Nicolas Maduro warned Wednesday that he will not hesitate to call on the population for a “new revolution” if forced by what he calls “North American imperialism and fascist criminals.”

Maduro’s comments come amid deadly protests across the country following its disputed presidential election victory, which the US and several other countries have refused to recognize.

“I would not like to go to other ways of making revolution, I say it solemnly from political power, we want to continue the path that [Hugo] Chavez outlined,” Maduro said in Caracas during a press conference with international media.

“But if North American imperialism and fascist criminals force us, my pulse will not tremble to call the people to a new revolution with other characteristics,” he added.

The president’s comments come just hours after US National Security spokesman John Kirby called on Maduro to “come clean” on Sunday’s election.

Related article
Venezuela is wracked with protests and election uncertainty. Here’s what to know

“Our patience, and that of the international community, is running out on waiting for the Venezuelan electoral authorities to come clean and release the full, detailed data on this election so everyone can see the results,” Kirby told reporters during Wednesday’s White House press briefing.

Kirby said the US and other nations share “serious concerns of the reports of casualties, violence and arrests, including the arrests warrants that Maduro and his representatives issued today (Wednesday) for opposition leaders.”

“Alongside the international community, we are watching, and we are going to respond accordingly,” Kirby said.

20 ‘credible reports’ of deaths

The Venezuelan leader’s comments came as Human Rights Watch (HRW) said it had received 20 “credible reports” of deaths connected to the nationwide protests over the election results.

“We are working to document and corroborate each case,” Juanita Goebertus, HRW Director for the Americas, wrote on X.

Foro Penal, a local NGO, reported on Tuesday that a total of 11 people have died during the protests.

Of those killed, five died in Caracas, two in Zulia and Yaracuy, and one in Aragua and Tachira, the head of Foro Penal, Alfredo Romero, told reporters on Tuesday.

CNN has reached out to Venezuela’s Public Prosecutor for comment.

So far, the Venezuelan government has not published any information regarding the death of civilians.

Total
0
Shares
Leave a Reply
Related Posts
Brighton, not Benidorm! Families enjoy day out at jam-packed beaches as UK records hottest day of the year with a scorching 32C – but summer fun may be short-lived
Read More

Brighton, not Benidorm! Families enjoy day out at jam-packed beaches as UK records hottest day of the year with a scorching 32C – but summer fun may be short-lived

Britain faces thunderstorms and four inches of rain from midday today despite warm weather continuing for the rest of this week after the hottest day of the year so far. The Met Office has issued a 36-hour weather warning amid concerns some areas could see up to a month's rainfall in a few hours, resulting
Boeing Can Veto Safety Monitor Pick Under New Sweetheart Deal
Read More

Boeing Can Veto Safety Monitor Pick Under New Sweetheart Deal

Boeing will have a hand in selecting its own "independent compliance monitor," under the terms of the company's new plea deal with the Department of Justice. The provision is likely to anger lawyers and family members of those killed onboard Boeing planes, who have previously voiced their objections to Boeing's involvement in the selection process