Outback Wrangler Matt Wright announces his next move over the helicopter crash that claimed the life of his best mate Chris ‘Willow’ Wilson

Outback Wrangler star Matt Wright Wright will plead not guilty to attempting to pervert the course of justice after a helicopter crash killed his friend and co-star Chris ‘Willow’ Wilson in 2022, his lawyer has told the Supreme Court. Wright’s barrister Frank Marenda told the court on Thursday prosecutors have been formally notified of the intended
Outback Wrangler Matt Wright announces his next move over the helicopter crash that claimed the life of his best mate Chris ‘Willow’ Wilson

Outback Wrangler star Matt Wright Wright will plead not guilty to attempting to pervert the course of justice after a helicopter crash killed his friend and co-star Chris ‘Willow’ Wilson in 2022, his lawyer has told the Supreme Court.

Wright’s barrister Frank Marenda told the court on Thursday prosecutors have been formally notified of the intended plea and the case was now ‘ready to be set for trial’. 

Wright has since vowed to fight the charge.

‘Today I informed the court I will be pleading not guilty,’ he told the Daily Telegraph on Thursday night.

‘I’m committed to clearing my name and look forward to this happening and this s*** fight being over so we can all move forward and be able to properly honour Willow’s legacy.’

His barrister estimated the trial would last for three months and is due to start in the latter half of 2025  following discussions between Wright’s instructing solicitors and Crown prosecutor Steve Ledek, the NT News reported.

‘Of course we’ll continue to confer but the position is, ultimately, that this matter will go to trial,’ Mr Marenda said. 

Netflix star Matt Wright’s trial is expected to last for up to three months

Netflix star Matt Wright’s trial is expected to last for up to three months

Outback Wrangler star Matt Wright (left) is pictured with his Instagram influencer wife Kaia

Outback Wrangler star Matt Wright (left) is pictured with his Instagram influencer wife Kaia

 In December last year, Wright was committed to stand trial on the single charge of attempting to pervert the course of justice, with an additional six charges remaining before the Local Court. 

The charge of attempting to pervert the course of justice is related to circumstances that allegedly took place following the helicopter crash in West Arnhem Land, which killed Mr Wilson and seriously injured pilot Sebastian Robinson.

The other charges include one count of menacing or intimidating chopper pilot Sebastian Robinson, one count of making a false declaration, one count of fabricating evidence, one count of destroying evidence and two counts of unlawful entry. 

Wright is yet to enter pleas to the other charges, however in a statement released at the time, he said he was ‘hopeful the remaining charges will all be withdrawn once this charge is dealt with’. 

Mr Marenda asked for the case to be listed for a management hearing and said there were still ‘contested points of law’ to be determined ‘relating to the admissibility of some evidence’.

The trial could potentially be pushed out until 2026, as Associate Justice Vince Luppino told the court there wasn’t a judge who had three months available.

‘I’m going to have to make some inquiries and possibly special arrangements for that sort of duration so I’ll adjourn the matter for that purpose,’ he said. 

‘I think ultimately what’s going to happen is someone from the sheriff’s office here will be in touch with both yourself and Mr Ledek to liaise to see what can be agreed upon and that might also be suitable to the court.’

‘But as I said, I suspect the court’s going to have to make special arrangements for that in any event.’

A ‘notional adjournment date’ of September 26  was set by Justice Luppino, but he said ‘I expect something will be worked out before then’.

‘If at all in 2025, the trial will be in the latter half of 2025,’ he said.

‘That’s the best that I can inform at the moment I’m afraid Mr Marenda.’

Chris 'Willow' Wilson was killed when the helicopter he was dangling from crashed in 2022 in the Northern Territory

Chris ‘Willow’ Wilson was killed when the helicopter he was dangling from crashed in 2022 in the Northern Territory

Following the helicopter crash in 2022, Wright and his pilot Michael Burbidge were allegedly first on the scene, with former NT police officer Neil Mellon.

The three were later charged over their alleged actions following the crash. 

Burbidge was fined $15,000 after he pleaded guilty to destruction of evidence, for disposing of Mr Wilson’s phone. 

Mellon was sentenced to eight months behind bars after pleading guilty to offences including, six counts of disclosing confidential information, destroying evidence and obtaining a benefit by deception.

Charges against both men of attempting to pervert the course of justice were withdrawn.

Wright has consistently denied all allegations against him.

He was not present in court on Thursday.

Wright’s bail has been extended until the matter is due to return to court on September 26.

Total
0
Shares
Leave a Reply
Related Posts
He went 1-15 in Triple-A in ’22. Now, he’s the Crew’s breakout rookieHe went 1-15 in Triple-A in ’22. Now, he’s the Crew’s breakout rookie
Read More

He went 1-15 in Triple-A in ’22. Now, he’s the Crew’s breakout rookieHe went 1-15 in Triple-A in ’22. Now, he’s the Crew’s breakout rookie

He went 1-15 in Triple-A in '22. Now, he's the Crew’s breakout rookie August 13th, 2024 Adam McCalvy @AdamMcCalvy Share share-square-589472 This story was excerpted from Adam McCalvy’s Brewers Beat newsletter. To read the full newsletter, click here. And subscribe to get it regularly in your inbox. MILWAUKEE – Brewers right-hander Tobias Myers is enjoying
Three inmates have been mistakenly released from a New Mexico jail in July
Read More

Three inmates have been mistakenly released from a New Mexico jail in July

Three inmates have been mistakenly released from the Metropolitan Detention Center in Albuquerque, New Mexico, during the month of July, according to Bernalillo County officials. Most recently, 44-year-old Desiree Sanchez was erroneously released from the jail Wednesday. Sanchez was booked into the facility a week earlier on preventative detention for charges related to armed robbery
VP Harris finally reacts to DC violence, hours after flag burning by anti-Israel agitators
Read More

VP Harris finally reacts to DC violence, hours after flag burning by anti-Israel agitators

close Video Pro-Hamas protesters burn American flag, wave Palestinian flag at nation's capital Fox News senior congressional correspondent Chad Pergram reports on the protests over Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s Capitol Hill address to Congress. Vice President Harris has released a statement condemning violent anti-Israel rioting that disrupted Washington D.C.'s busiest station. The presumptive Democratic