Ireland to ban balaclavas after country was rocked by anti-migrant protests

Ireland is set to ban protesters from wearing balaclavas after rioters clashed with police at anti-immigration demonstrations. The new ban will prohibit wearing masks at protests when the intent of the wearing the face covering is to ‘intimidate’  or prevent police from identifying an individual committing a crime , a spokesman for the Justice Minister Helen
Ireland to ban balaclavas after country was rocked by anti-migrant protests

Ireland is set to ban protesters from wearing balaclavas after rioters clashed with police at anti-immigration demonstrations.

The new ban will prohibit wearing masks at protests when the intent of the wearing the face covering is to ‘intimidate’  or prevent police from identifying an individual committing a crime , a spokesman for the Justice Minister Helen McEntee told the Irish Independent.

Under the new legislation face coverings can be worn for medical reasons or during cold weather, the newspaper reported.

It comes after balaclava-wearing protesters threw projectiles at Irish police last month during demonstrations at a proposed asylum site in Coolock, Dublin.

Rioters also travelled from Coolock to Belfast, Northern Ireland on Saturday to participate in a violent anti-migrant protest that saw what Taoiseach Simon Harris has described as demonstrators ‘attacking police and spouting racism’.

Ireland is set to ban protesters from wearing balaclavas after rioters clashed with police at anti-immigration demonstrations. Pictured is rioter in Coolock, north Dublin last month

Ireland is set to ban protesters from wearing balaclavas after rioters clashed with police at anti-immigration demonstrations. Pictured is rioter in Coolock, north Dublin last month

The new ban will prohibit wearing masks at protests when the intent of the wearing the face covering is to 'intimidate' or prevent police from identifying an individual committing a crime , a spokesman for the Justice Minister Helen McEntee said

The new ban will prohibit wearing masks at protests when the intent of the wearing the face covering is to ‘intimidate’ or prevent police from identifying an individual committing a crime , a spokesman for the Justice Minister Helen McEntee said

The proposed ban is seemingly in response to the havoc that masked demonstrators have wrecked on Ireland in recent months.

Ms McEntee is ‘consulting’ with the Attorney General and the Garda Commissioner to determine ‘how such a law would work’ in Ireland, a spokesperson said.

Similar bans have gone into effect in the US, including in Philadelphia where lawmakers last year ban the wearing of ski masks or balaclavas in public spaces.

Drew Harris, the Garda commissioner, in an internal note also recently claimed that wearing balaclavas had ‘potentially sinister overtures in Ireland’. 

It comes as violent demonstrators have been targetting Irish police, local businesses and even the Taoiseach’s private home.

Rioters looted local businesses and torched trams in Dublin city centre last November after children were attacked outside a creche.

Protesters in June gathered outside the Taoiseach’s family home to fight against his government’s immigration policies.

Masked rioters in July also attacked Irish police at a disused factory in north Dublin following a protest at the former Crown Paints factory, which has been earmarked to house asylum seekers. A crowd of more than 1,000 people attended the protest.

Pictured is a masked demonstrator in Coolock, north Dublin last month during a protest in which a number of fires were lit at the site of the former Crown Paints factory

Pictured is a masked demonstrator in Coolock, north Dublin last month during a protest in which a number of fires were lit at the site of the former Crown Paints factory

Taoiseach Mr Harris has also expressed his disgust at ‘those flying the Irish tricolour whilst attacking police and spouting racism’ over the weekend.

Ireland’s premier spoke with Northern Ireland’s First Minister Michelle O’Neill on Sunday after violent scenes followed an anti-immigration protest at the front of Belfast City Hall on Saturday.

Protesters waving both the union flag and the Irish tricolour took part in the demonstration. There were also protesters in attendance from Coolock.

A statement from Mr Harris’s office yesterday said he had agreed to stay in contact with Ms O’Neill. 

It said: ‘They discussed the violent scenes in Belfast last night and acknowledged the importance of the work between the gardai and PSNI to counter those who are trying to sow hate, racism and division in both jurisdictions on the island.

‘The Taoiseach spoke of Belfast as a city and society that has spent decades working to reject hate, embrace peace, and build respect and inclusivity.

‘The Taoiseach also expressed disgust at those flying the Irish tricolour whilst attacking police and spouting racism. This is repugnant to everything the Irish flag represents.’

Protesters waving both the union flag and the Irish tricolour took part in an anti-immigration protest at the front of Belfast City Hall IN Northern Ireland on Saturday

Protesters waving both the union flag and the Irish tricolour took part in an anti-immigration protest at the front of Belfast City Hall IN Northern Ireland on Saturday

There have been a series of anti-immigrant protests and incidents of related violence in the Republic of Ireland in recent months.

Ms O’Neill said: ‘I briefed An Taoiseach on the totally unacceptable racist attacks on people and businesses in Belfast yesterday.

‘We are agreed that co-operation between the PSNI and An Garda Siochana is essential in bringing those responsible for the violence to justice and I urge anyone with information to bring it forward to the police.

‘There can be no place for racism, hatred, discrimination and intimidation anywhere in our society. I remain resolutely committed to a shared, modern and inclusive society.’

Total
0
Shares
Leave a Reply
Related Posts
Vance says Trump wouldn’t ban abortion pill days after Trump indicated he would be open to it
Read More

Vance says Trump wouldn’t ban abortion pill days after Trump indicated he would be open to it

Republican vice presidential nominee Sen. JD Vance on Sunday sought to walk back former President Donald Trump’s recent comments suggesting that he is open to banning access to mifepristone, one of the two drugs used in medication abortions. In an interview on CBS’ “Face the Nation,” the Ohio Republican was asked whether a Trump-Vance administration
McCain products urgently recalled in Australia: Do not eat
Read More

McCain products urgently recalled in Australia: Do not eat

An urgent recall has been issued for McCain products sold at supermarkets nationwide due to possible chemical contamination. Importer Parsram Foods Pty Ltd is recalling the following eight McCain products, which have been sold at Indian Grocery stores in the Australian Capital Territory, Queensland, Victoria and South Australia. McCain Masala Fries — 420g and 1.5kg