Several US Personnel Injured In Attack In Iraq

Forbes Business Breaking Several US Personnel Injured In Attack In Iraq Molly Bohannon Forbes Staff Molly Bohannon has been a Forbes news reporter since 2023. Following Aug 5, 2024, 06:19pm EDT Updated Aug 5, 2024, 06:41pm EDT Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Share to Linkedin Topline Several U.S. personnel were injured in a suspected
Several US Personnel Injured In Attack In Iraq

Several US Personnel Injured In Attack In Iraq

Following

Updated Aug 5, 2024, 06:41pm EDT

Topline

Several U.S. personnel were injured in a suspected rocket attack at an airbase in Iraq, a U.S. defense official reportedly said Monday—an attack that comes during a time of heightened tensions in the Middle East over concerns about Iran retaliating against Israel.

Key Facts

The suspected rocket attack was at al-Asad air base in Iraq, multiple outlets reported, citing initial information that may change.

It was not immediately clear how many U.S. troops were injured or how they were injured.

Two rockets were fired at the base, and one fell inside the base, according to Reuters—which first reported the attack—and U.S. base personnel “are conducting a post-attack damage assessment.”

Get Forbes Breaking News Text Alerts: We’re launching text message alerts so you’ll always know the biggest stories shaping the day’s headlines. Text “Alerts” to (201) 335-0739 or sign up here.


What We Don’t Know

Whether the U.S. was the intended target of the attack.

News Peg

The attack comes after a top Hamas leader was killed last week, leading Iran to blame Israel for the killing and threaten it with “harsh punishment,” according to the BBC. Though Iran has threatened retaliation on Israel, Israeli officials have not commented on whether the country was involved in the death of Hamas’ top political leader, Ismail Haniyeh, CNN reported.

Key Background

Haniyeh was killed in Tehran last Wednesday, Iranian officials said. Hamas first said Haniyeh was killed in an Israeli raid, but a follow up statement said he was killed by an Israeli airstrike on his residence in Tehran. Haniyeh had been in Iran—which does not recognize Israel and supports Hamas and Hezbollah—for the inauguration of Iran’s new president, Masoud Pezeshkian. The conditions of Haniyeh’s death have been the subject of competing narratives: On Saturday, Iran’s Revolutionary Guard said he was killed by a short-range projectile and accused the U.S. of supporting the attack, according to the Associated Press, heightening concern of retaliation against Israel and the U.S. The New York Times reported Sunday, though, that Haniyeh was killed by an explosive device that had been smuggled into his house months earlier.

Further Reading

ReutersExclusive: US personnel wounded in attack against base in Iraq, officials say CNN‘Several’ US personnel injured in rocket attack on Iraq base | CNN Politics

ForbesHamas Political Chief Ismail Haniyeh Killed In Iran-Militant Group Blames Israel

Follow me on  TwitterSend me a secure  tip

Israel and Hamas. Previously, she has covered a range of topics from Donald Trump’s legal battles to Taylor Swift’s path to becoming a billionaire. She joined Forbes in April 2022 and is based in Colorado. Prior to joining Forbes, Bohannon covered local news and spent time at the Fort Collins Coloradoan and the Arizona Republic. She graduated with a degree in journalism from Creighton University and has an MA in investigative journalism from Arizona State. Follow Bohannon for continued coverage of pop culture, politics and updates on the war in Gaza. 

“>

Total
0
Shares
Leave a Reply
Related Posts
This French Farce makes Paris 2024 the worst Olympics in my lifetime! KENNEDY slams the pedo rapists, gender madness, sewer swims and genital-flashing drag queens
Read More

This French Farce makes Paris 2024 the worst Olympics in my lifetime! KENNEDY slams the pedo rapists, gender madness, sewer swims and genital-flashing drag queens

Triathletes dripping with the Seine’s sewer-soiled water must have been thinking what the rest of us now know: This is the crappiest Olympics in recent history! Literally. It’s taken nine years, $1.5 billion of environmental remediation and countless 5-hour workdays (this is France, folks) for the Paris 2024 organizers to deem the E. coli-tainted river
Manchester Arena bombing survivors suing ex-TV producer say they should not have to deal with ‘hurtful’ claims terror attack which left them with life-changing injuries was a ‘lie’
Read More

Manchester Arena bombing survivors suing ex-TV producer say they should not have to deal with ‘hurtful’ claims terror attack which left them with life-changing injuries was a ‘lie’

Survivors of the Manchester Arena bombing should not have to deal with 'hurtful' claims that the attack was a hoax, said one victim left with life-changing injuries, whose teenage daughter also suffered  severe brain damage in the blast, as he waits for a decision in a High Court harassment case. Martin Hibbert and his daughter Eve