Disabled veteran food vendor sues NYC for $8M after arrest: ‘He wants to make a living’

A disabled US Army veteran and longtime food cart vendor has filed an $8 million lawsuit against the city claiming he was falsely arrested for trying to make a living, according to court documents. Food seller Armando Crescenzi was arrested and issued a summons for “unlawful vending” back in February as he worked his cart

A disabled US Army veteran and longtime food cart vendor has filed an $8 million lawsuit against the city claiming he was falsely arrested for trying to make a living, according to court documents.

Food seller Armando Crescenzi was arrested and issued a summons for “unlawful vending” back in February as he worked his cart on West 34th Street and Broadway, according to his suit filed last week in Manhattan Supreme Court.

Armando Crescenzi standing by while his food cart was inspected back in 2019. Michael Dalton for NY Post
Crescenzi posing with his tickets in 2011. Chad Rachman/New York Post

“It’s very basic,” said his attorney, Gary Fish. “He wants to make a living and the police are interfering with that.”

While an administrative court dismissed the case back in April, Fish said there are too many cops issuing summons to disabled veterans working as food vendors, who get special privileges from the state.

“The police are handing out these summons like candy,” Fish said, “and invariably, these cases get dismissed in court.” 

Crescenzi selling scarves in 2009. Dan Brinzac for NY Post

As a protected class, disabled military vets are allowed “absolute blanket protection” to operate as a vendor where they choose, per an 80-year-old state general business law, Fish said, akin to a “get out of jail free card.”

Fish said that Crescenzi’s lawsuit is about making sure police officers understand the law and stop hassling the city’s hard-working disabled military veterans. 

Police ignorance surrounding the legal privileges given to the nation’s heroes trying to make ends meet means that “there is an element of egregiousness inherent in each and every summons that’s issued,” Fish said.

Crescenzi’s lawyer says his client just “wants to make a living.” Michael Dalton for NY Post

“The police have been on notice for quite some time,” Fish told The Post. “These disabled American military veterans have an absolute right to vend.” 

Crescenzi, a Gulf War vet who is no stranger to getting hassled by the man, declined to be interviewed.

City officials did not reply to a request for comment on the lawsuit.

Total
0
Shares
Leave a Reply
Related Posts
MSNBC’s Reid: Trump Family Interactions ‘Cold and Clinical’
Read More

MSNBC’s Reid: Trump Family Interactions ‘Cold and Clinical’

On Wednesday, MSNBC host Joy Reid said on the network’s coverage of President Joe Biden’s Oval Office address that former President Donald Trump’s interactions with his family were “cold and clinical.” While referencing first lady Jill Biden’s thank you note released after the speech, Reid said, “One of the things that Dr. Biden said that
Alder Hey Children’s Hospital declares a major incident after rampage that left ‘one child dead’ and seven people including youngsters injured after knifeman attacked Taylor Swift-themed kids’ dance and yoga workshop
Read More

Alder Hey Children’s Hospital declares a major incident after rampage that left ‘one child dead’ and seven people including youngsters injured after knifeman attacked Taylor Swift-themed kids’ dance and yoga workshop

Alder Hey Children's Hospital has declared a major incident after the knife rampage in Southport. One child was reportedly killed and at least seven people were injured by a knifeman who rampaged through a Taylor Swift-themed children's workshop in Southport this morning. Some of the seven victims are known to be young children and they