Trump’s campaign confirms it was hacked, blames Iran for data breach

Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump’s campaign said Saturday that it had been hacked and blamed Iran for breaking into its data, days after Microsoft revealed the terror-backing nation has been ramping up online activity in an attempt to influence the US election. Trump spokesman Steven Cheung made the announcement following report from Politico that said

Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump’s campaign said Saturday that it had been hacked and blamed Iran for breaking into its data, days after Microsoft revealed the terror-backing nation has been ramping up online activity in an attempt to influence the US election.

Trump spokesman Steven Cheung made the announcement following report from Politico that said the outlet had received anonymous emails that included documents from inside Trump’s campaign operation.

The campaign cited the report from Microsoft on Friday that said a presidential campaign had been targeted with an email phishing attack in June, according to reports.

Former President Donald Trump speaking at a campaign rally in Bozeman, Montana, with a crowd on bleachers behind him and American flags hung from the ceiling, during his 2024 presidential run
The scope of the information obtained by the hacker is unclear. But it represents a major security breach for Trump’s campaign. AP
Steven Cheung, spokesman for Donald Trump, standing outside the Wilkie D. Ferguson Jr. United States Courthouse in Miami, Florida, in 2023
Steven Cheung, communications director for the Trump campaign, said the documents were obtained illegally by actors seeking to interfere with the 2024 election. Bloomberg via Getty Images

“These documents were obtained illegally from foreign sources hostile to the United States, intended to interfere with the 2024 election and sow chaos throughout our Democratic process,” Cheung said in a statement.

“On Friday, a new report from Microsoft found that Iranian hackers broke into the account of a ‘high ranking official’ on the U.S. presidential campaign in June 2024, which coincides with the close timing of President Trump’s selection of a vice presidential nominee,” he continued.

“The Iranians know that President Trump will stop their reign of terror just like he did in his first four years in the White House,” he added.

Cheung declined to say if there was further information to substantiate Iran’s involvement.

He noted that the hack came “after recent reports of an Iranian plot to assassinate President Trump around the same time as the Butler, PA tragedy.” Trump was wounded July 13 in an assassination attempt during a rally in the western Pennsylvania town.

Politico reported it began receiving purported communications on July 22 from a “senior Trump campaign official” that included vetting documents related to Trump’s pick for Vice President, Ohio Sen. JD Vance.

The documents, which insiders confirmed to Politico are authentic, detailed Vance’s record and past statements and “potential vulnerabilities” and were dated from February.

The emails were from an anonymous AOL account from a person who identified himself only as “Robert.”

When asked how he came into possession of the sensitive materials, he gave an ominous response.

“I suggest you don’t be curious about where I got them from. Any answer to this question, will compromise me and also legally restricts you from publishing them,” Politico reported.

US intelligence has reportedly found increasing evidence that Iran has been working on retaliation plots against Trump related to the 2020 assassination of Qassem Soleimani, the leader of the elite Quds Force of Iran’s Revolutionary Guard.

Trump maintained Soleimani was the architect of attacks on US troops in the Middle East that resulted in hundreds of casualties.

Iran has denied the allegations that it is engaging in online efforts to interfere in the election..

The Microsoft report also said Iran has created fake news sites and impersonated activists in attempts to sway voters primarily in swing states, but did not provide further details on which “high ranking official” had been hacked.

Total
0
Shares
Leave a Reply
Related Posts
Liverpool still trying to strengthen – Slot
Read More

Liverpool still trying to strengthen – Slot

Liverpool still trying to strengthen - Slot Media caption, 'You don't need new players to be stronger' - Liverpool boss Slot Mandeep Sanghera BBC Sport journalist Published 5 hours ago Liverpool manager Arne Slot says the club are still looking to strengthen the squad before the transfer window closes. The Reds tried to sign Martin
Yoro out for three months and Hojlund six weeks
Read More

Yoro out for three months and Hojlund six weeks

Yoro out for three months and Hojlund six weeks Image source, Getty Images Image caption, Leny Yoro joined Manchester United from Lille last month Simon Stone Chief football news reporter in San Diego Published 1 hour ago Comments Manchester United's new £52m defender Leny Yoro has been ruled out for three months and striker Rasmus