Red Sox sending their top 3 prospects to Triple-ARed Sox sending their top 3 prospects to Triple-A

Red Sox sending their top 3 prospects to Triple-A August 11th, 2024 Joe Trezza @JoeTrezz Share share-square-352212 Boston's Big Three prospects will be moving up together and within one phone call of the Majors. The team is promoting its top three prospects, shortstop Marcelo Mayer, outfielder Roman Anthony and catcher Kyle Teel to Triple-A Worcester
Red Sox sending their top 3 prospects to Triple-ARed Sox sending their top 3 prospects to Triple-A

Red Sox sending their top 3 prospects to Triple-A

August 11th, 2024

Boston’s Big Three prospects will be moving up together and within one phone call of the Majors.

The team is promoting its top three prospects, shortstop Marcelo Mayer, outfielder Roman Anthony and catcher Kyle Teel to Triple-A Worcester, MLB.com’s Ian Browne confirmed on Sunday. The trio also ranks within the upper echelon of MLB Pipeline’s Top 100 Prospects list, with Mayer at No. 6, Anthony at No. 13 and Teel at No. 23, and all of them are coming off excellent showings with Double-A Portland.

More from MLB Pipeline:
Top 100 prospects | Stats | Video | Podcast | Complete coverage

The No. 4 overall pick in the 2021 Draft, the 21-year-old Mayer took a big step forward in his second taste of Double-A after struggling to recover from a shoulder injury down the stretch last season there. Healthy again this year, Mayer excelled on both sides of the ball, hitting .307/.370/.480 with eight homers and 13 stolen bases in 77 games for Portland.

Anthony, 20, needed less than two years to reach Double-A after he was taken by Boston in the second round in 2022, and he showed this season he could more than handle the level. The left-handed slugger hit .269/.367/.489 with 15 homers and 16 steals in 84 games.

The 22-year-old Teel was the consensus top catcher in the 2023 Draft and went to Boston with the No. 14 overall pick and reached Double-A during his brief pro debut. He may be having the most well-rounded season of the three this year to date, hitting .298/.390/.462 with 11 homers and nine steals in 84 games.

The trio, which represented Boston in last month’s All-Star Futures Game, sent all kinds of signals that its time with the Sea Dogs might be limited. Mayer and Teel rank first and second in the Eastern League in batting average, while Teel stands third, Mayer eighth and Anthony ninth in on-base percentage. All three rank within the top five in the league in OPS and runs. Anthony stands second overall in OPS and fifth in homers, while Teel ranks second in runs and fourth in RBIs.

All three are expected to make their Triple-A debuts for Worcester on Tuesday when the team opens a weeklong home stand against Lehigh Valley (Phillies).

“It’s good for them, just go out there and keep getting better,” Red Sox manager Alex Cora told reporters on Sunday. “Like I told them in Spring Training individually, there’s no age limit in the big leagues. You make it at 19 or you make it at 35, it doesn’t matter, if you’re good, you’re good. The fact that they’re going all together there is going to be fun to watch, they’re going to be a big part of this in the future, they really are, and I’m glad they’re doing an outstanding job.”

Total
0
Shares
Leave a Reply
Related Posts
Sen. Chris Murphy Slammed for Condemning ‘Pro-Hamas’ Protesters Shortly After Criticizing Netanyahu
Read More

Sen. Chris Murphy Slammed for Condemning ‘Pro-Hamas’ Protesters Shortly After Criticizing Netanyahu

Sen. Chris Murphy (D-CT) is facing backlash for criticizing “pro-Hamas cheers” at a fiery anti-Israel protest only hours after expressing outrage over Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s claim that such protesters were Hamas sympathizers. In his address before a joint session of Congress on Wednesday, the Israeli leader denounced anti-Israel protesters who support the U.S.-designated
The downfall of Huw Edwards: BBC’s biggest star guided the nation through its most poignant moments during four decade career before sex pics scandal and child porn conviction left his legacy ‘and marriage’ in tatters
Read More

The downfall of Huw Edwards: BBC’s biggest star guided the nation through its most poignant moments during four decade career before sex pics scandal and child porn conviction left his legacy ‘and marriage’ in tatters

Anchoring the BBC News at Ten, Huw Edwards was one of the Britain's most recognisable faces and among its most trusted voices. From braving terrorist attacks and war zones, to grilling politicians and reporting on sporting triumphs, the Welsh broadcaster covered it all during his 40-year career at the corporation. When he announced the death
Biden’s speech: Warnings about Trump without naming him, a hefty to-do list, and a power handoff
Read More

Biden’s speech: Warnings about Trump without naming him, a hefty to-do list, and a power handoff

President Joe Biden delivered a solemn Oval Office address Wednesday that laid out in the clearest terms yet why he abandoned his reelection campaign Biden’s speech: Warnings about Trump without naming him, a hefty to-do list, and a power handoffBy SEUNG MIN KIM and COLLEEN LONGAssociated PressThe Associated PressWASHINGTON WASHINGTON (AP) — President Joe Biden