Google says Iranian efforts to hack US presidential campaigns are ongoing and wide-ranging

CNN  —  Google said Wednesday that an alleged Iranian hacking operation aimed at US presidential campaigns is ongoing and more wide-ranging than previously known as the hackers continue to target the email accounts of current US officials and people associated with Vice President Kamala Harris, President Joe Biden and former President Donald Trump. In May
Google says Iranian efforts to hack US presidential campaigns are ongoing and wide-ranging


CNN
 — 

Google said Wednesday that an alleged Iranian hacking operation aimed at US presidential campaigns is ongoing and more wide-ranging than previously known as the hackers continue to target the email accounts of current US officials and people associated with Vice President Kamala Harris, President Joe Biden and former President Donald Trump.

In May and June, a hacking group linked with Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps targeted the personal email accounts of about a dozen people associated with Biden and Trump, including current government officials, Google researchers said in a  blog post. And even today, Google is seeing unsuccessful attempts by the Iranian hackers to log into the accounts of people associated with Biden, Harris, Trump and both presidential campaigns.

The Google research adds to existing evidence of an aggressive effort by Iran to collect intelligence related to the 2024 presidential campaign. CNN and other outlets reported this week that the suspected Iranian hackers had breached the personal email account of longtime Republican operative Roger Stone in an effort to infiltrate the Trump campaign.

The Iranian hackers successfully broke into the personal Gmail account of “a high-profile political consultant,” Google said. A company spokesperson declined to comment when asked if this political consultant was Stone or someone else. Google passed on information about the hacking activity to law enforcement in early July and is continuing to cooperate, the company said.

Google has told both campaigns that it is “seeing heightened malicious activity originating from foreign state actors” and has stressed to the campaigns “the importance of enhanced account security protections on personal email accounts.”

This story is breaking and will be updated.

Total
0
Shares
Leave a Reply
Related Posts
Oblivious Macron tells Olympics organisers ‘Bravo! You made France shine’ as he ignores backlash against opening ceremony – while pictures show night-time Paris looking spectacular
Read More

Oblivious Macron tells Olympics organisers ‘Bravo! You made France shine’ as he ignores backlash against opening ceremony – while pictures show night-time Paris looking spectacular

An oblivious Emmanuel Macron was filmed telling Olympics organisers 'Bravo, you made France shine' amid backlash against the opening ceremony in Paris. The ceremony took place amid pouring rain with viewers complaining of poor audio, technical issues and watching thousands of athletes burying themselves under ponchos as they paraded down the river Seine on a
Trump Campaign: ‘Inappropriate’ to Schedule Debates Until Harris Nomination Official, Democrats ‘Could Still Change Their Minds’
Read More

Trump Campaign: ‘Inappropriate’ to Schedule Debates Until Harris Nomination Official, Democrats ‘Could Still Change Their Minds’

The Trump campaign said on Thursday it would be “inappropriate” to schedule presidential debates so long as the Democrats have any confusion about their prospective nominee. In a statement released on Thursday, Steven Cheung, Trump Campaign Communications Director, said Democrats would need to settle on a nominee before a debate can be agreed upon. “Given the
Cocaine-fuelled driver, 19, who mowed down and killed schoolboy, 13, has his ‘absolutely disgusting’ and ‘insulting’ jail sentence increased after outraged plea by victim’s heartbroken parents
Read More

Cocaine-fuelled driver, 19, who mowed down and killed schoolboy, 13, has his ‘absolutely disgusting’ and ‘insulting’ jail sentence increased after outraged plea by victim’s heartbroken parents

A cocaine-fuelled driver who mowed down and killed a 13-year-old boy has had his 'insulting' jail sentence increased after a plea by the victim's heartbroken parents. Harley Whiteman, 19, downed pints and snorted cocaine before he mowed down schoolboy Kaylan Hippsley on February 29 - and then tried to stop medics from saving his life.   He