Disney Says Disney Plus Terms Of Service Prevent Lawsuit Over Allergy Death

If you’ve ever signed up for Disney+, is it a reasonable assumption that by clicking on the user agreement for the streaming service, the terms can be extended to protecting the company from going to court over a wrongful death that happened in one of its theme parks? According to Disney’s lawyers, the Disney+ user

If you’ve ever signed up for Disney+, is it a reasonable assumption that by clicking on the user agreement for the streaming service, the terms can be extended to protecting the company from going to court over a wrongful death that happened in one of its theme parks? According to Disney’s lawyers, the Disney+ user agreement is the company’s justification for trying to send a British man’s lawsuit over the death of his wife into arbitration.

Via BBC, Jeffrey Piccolo filed a wrongful death lawsuit against Disney after his wife died, following a severe allergic reaction after she ate in one of Walt Disney World’s restaurants. However, Disney’s lawyers are contending that because Piccolo once signed up for a free trial of Disney+ and signed the user agreement–which stipulates arbitration be used in place of a lawsuit–he can’t sue the park. Piccolo’s Disney+ trial was in 2019, and the company argues that he agreed to the terms again when he purchased the couple’s Disney World tickets last year.

This is an untested legal theory, to say the least. Piccolo’s lawyers are countering that Disney’s filing “is based on the incredible argument that any person who signs up for a Disney+ account, even free trials that are not extended beyond the trial period, will have forever waived the right to a jury trial.”

Ernest Aduwa, a lawyer who is unconnected to the case, told BBC that “Disney is pushing the envelope of contract law. The courts will have to consider, on balance, if the arbitration clause in a contract for a streaming service can really be applied to as serious an allegation of wrongful death through negligence at a theme park.”

This case is currently unfolding in British court, and we haven’t heard any stories about Disney making the same legal argument in the United States. But if this interpretation is accepted by either American or British courts, it should cause some fans to reconsider clicking on any user agreements ever again.

Total
0
Shares
Leave a Reply
Related Posts
Multi-Billion California Tower Project Underway
Read More

Multi-Billion California Tower Project Underway

A $3.74 billion construction project is underway to upgrade a major California hospital. The UC Davis Medical Center will receive a new, 14-story tower - the California Tower, along with a five-story pavilion. The project will upgrade the hospital - already the largest in the Sacramento area - from 646 beds to 675-700 beds. The
Barnaby Joyce is forced to apologise for using a very awkward metaphor after Donald Trump assassination attempt
Read More

Barnaby Joyce is forced to apologise for using a very awkward metaphor after Donald Trump assassination attempt

Barnaby Joyce has apologised after using a violent election metaphor weeks after former US president Donald Trump survived an assassination attempt. The former deputy prime minister had been speaking at an anti-wind farm rally in Lake Illawarra near Wollongong, in NSW, on Sunday. He urged locals to vote down the offshore wind turbines, comparing a
Intel’s 29% Nosedive Leads Massive Global Chip Stock Selloff As AI Hype Sours
Read More

Intel’s 29% Nosedive Leads Massive Global Chip Stock Selloff As AI Hype Sours

Forbes Business Breaking Intel’s 29% Nosedive Leads Massive Global Chip Stock Selloff As AI Hype Sours Robert Hart Forbes Staff Robert Hart is a London-based Forbes senior reporter. Following Aug 2, 2024, 10:21am EDT Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Share to Linkedin Topline Intel shares nosedived Friday after the American stalwart announced an array