US Ally Faces China’s ‘Countermeasures’ at South China Sea Flashpoint

China on Friday reiterated that it would take “forceful measures” to back its territorial claims after reports that the Philippines might deploy another of its large coast guard ships to a hotspot in the South China Sea. SCS Probing Initiative, a Peking University think tank cited an unidentified source as saying Thursday that Manila planned
US Ally Faces China’s ‘Countermeasures’ at South China Sea Flashpoint

China on Friday reiterated that it would take “forceful measures” to back its territorial claims after reports that the Philippines might deploy another of its large coast guard ships to a hotspot in the South China Sea.

SCS Probing Initiative, a Peking University think tank cited an unidentified source as saying Thursday that Manila planned to send 318-foot coast guard cutter the BRP Melchior Aquino to contested Sabina Reef to relieve the similarly sized cutter the BRP Teresa Magbanua.

The Sabina Shoal, part of the Spratly islands, sits about 75 miles from the Philippine province of Palawan. One of the most contentious features in the Philippines’ long-running territorial dispute with China, the shoal lies within the Philippinesexclusive economic zone (EEZ) within which maritime law grants a country exclusive rights to natural resources.

The Philippines dispatched the Teresa Magbanua to Sabina Shoal, known in the Philippines as Escoda Shoal, in April after reports a large amount of crushed coral had been dumped there.

China has accused the U.S. ally of continually stationing the ship there to stake its own claim, similar to how it grounded an aging naval vessel at another Spratly Island feature, Second Thomas Shoal, in 1999. The Philippines has denied this.

“Again, Teresa Magbanua’s objective is only to advance our national interest and to safeguard our position in Escoda Shoal. So, we don’t pay so much attention to the comments of the Chinese government,” the Manila Standard quoted Philippine Coast Guard spokesperson Jay Tarriela as saying last month.

A Chinese Coast Guard vessel attempts to block Philippine Coast Guard Cutter BRP Teresa Magbanua at the South China Sea hotspot Scarborough Shoal on February 11. China on August 16 reiterated that it would take… Philippine Coast Guard

The vessel’s monthslong deployment there is “seriously violating China’s sovereignty and the Declaration on the Conduct of Parties in the South China Sea, posing a serious threat to peace and stability in the South China Sea,” a Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesperson said Friday. The spokesperson said China had “lodged solemn representations” and demanded the withdrawal of all Philippine ships from the area.

Beijing “will take resolute and forceful measures to safeguard its territorial sovereignty and maritime rights and interests,” the spokesperson added.

Chinese state-owned tabloid the Global Times quoted Yang Xiao, deputy director of the Institute of Maritime Strategy Studies, as predicting more trouble over Sabina Shoal.

He said China has said on multiple occasions that it won’t let the Philippines “wantonly occupy” the shoal and so will “not allow” the country to send a second large patrol vessel to “increase the scale of the floating platform.”

If the Philippines sends the Teresa Magbanua, “it indicates Manila’s long-term commitment to contesting China’s soft occupation of Sabina Shoal, and China’s determination to enforce its claim to an unoccupied low-tide elevation just 75 nautical miles from Palawan,” Ray Powell, director of the Stanford University-affiliated SeaLight initiative, told Newsweek.

The Chinese coast guard has also maintained a presence near the shoal in recent weeks. Ship tracking data showed China’s 541-foot CCG 5901, the largest coast guard ship in the world, arriving at the shoal until August 3, according to Powell.

CCG 5901, nicknamed the “Monster,” departed early last week after about 30 days in those waters, where, at least part of the time, it was just 2,400 feet from its Philippine counterpart, per the Philippine Coast Guard. Another Chinese vessel took its place in an apparent ship rotation.

Newsweek reached out to the Chinese Foreign Ministry and Philippine Coast Guard with written requests for comment.

Total
0
Shares
Leave a Reply
Related Posts
Map Shows Smartest Cities in the US
Read More

Map Shows Smartest Cities in the US

Seattle has emerged as the smartest city in the U.S. for 2024, overtaking last year's winner, Austin, Texas, according to the latest Smart City Index released by ProptechOS. The index, which evaluated cities based on tech infrastructure, sustainability, and the tech job market, placed Seattle at the forefront with an overall score of 75.7 out
Donald Trump’s line of ‘Succession’: Inside ex president’s dynasty with multi-billion dollar property empire, a stranglehold on the GOP and ten adoring grandchildren including Kai who became RNC standout star
Read More

Donald Trump’s line of ‘Succession’: Inside ex president’s dynasty with multi-billion dollar property empire, a stranglehold on the GOP and ten adoring grandchildren including Kai who became RNC standout star

Donald Trump started to build his American dynasty long before he was handed keys to the Oval Office. The former president - with an at least $400million inheritance from his father - built a multi-billion dollar property empire, owning luxurious hotels, golf courses and estates across the globe, and turned the Trump name into an iconic brand. 
Boar’s Head recalls more than 207,000 pounds of meat due to listeria concerns
Read More

Boar’s Head recalls more than 207,000 pounds of meat due to listeria concerns

Boar’s Head has recalled more than 207,000 pounds of deli meat, including liverwurst and ham products sold nationwide, because they may contain the bacteria Listeria monocytogenes. The company initiated the recall after liverwurst at a store in Maryland tested positive for listeria. The sample was collected as part of an investigation into a multistate listeria outbreak that
Donald Trump Gives Update on Outdoor Rallies
Read More

Donald Trump Gives Update on Outdoor Rallies

Following the attempted assassination of Donald Trump during an outdoor campaign rally earlier this month, the former president gave an update on Saturday on whether he will continue to speak at outdoor rallies. Trump, the Republican presidential nominee, was speaking at a rally in Butler, Pennsylvania, on July 13 when he was shot on stage