‘Most wanted’ murder suspect on the run for 20 years found working as a cop

A murder fugitive on Ohio’s “most wanted” list for nearly two decades was found working as a police officer in his hometown in Mexico — and has since been taken into custody, officials said. Antonio Riano, who has been wanted for the shooting death of Benjamin Becarra, 25, since 2004, was taken into custody on

A murder fugitive on Ohio’s “most wanted” list for nearly two decades was found working as a police officer in his hometown in Mexico — and has since been taken into custody, officials said.

Antonio Riano, who has been wanted for the shooting death of Benjamin Becarra, 25, since 2004, was taken into custody on Aug. 1 in Zapotilan Palmas, State of Oaxaca, Mexico, where he had been working as a police officer,  according to US Marshals.

Antonio Riano was wanted for a murder outside of a bar in Hamilton, Ohio in 2004. NBC News

Riano, now 72, was listed as one of the Butler County Sheriff’s Office’s “Most Wanted” and profiled on the “America’s Most Wanted” television series in 2005.

Police said Riano shot Becarra outside Roundhouse Bar in Hamilton, Ohio, following an argument on Dec. 19, 2004, NBC News reported.

Riano had stepped in to help a bartender at the watering hole after the worker asked Becarra to leave the premises since he had been in a fight there weeks earlier, officials at the time said.

As Riano and Becarra argued, the bartender told them to take it outside, where gunshots later rang out and Becarra was found lying face down on the sidewalk.

Surveillance footage showed Riano fleeing the scene, however, authorities were unable to locate him. It was believed at the time that he fled the country to avoid prosecution.

Paul Newton, chief investigator for the Butler County Prosecutor’s Office, said the US Marshals originally attempted to capture Riano with a warrant in 2006 — but he evaded them by being down the street at a friend’s place, NBC News reported.

Becarra was found lying face down on the sidewalk after an alleged argument with Riano. NBC News

He said they ultimately able to track down Riano earlier this month by using Facebook and other social media.

Riano was flown from Mexico City to Cincinnati and taken to Butler County Jail, where he is being held pending court proceedings.

Riano was found working as a police officer in Mexico. Butler County Sheriff’s Office

He is being held on two charges of murder and one count of felony assault.

He is due back in court later this month.

Total
0
Shares
Leave a Reply
Related Posts
Kamala Harris’ First Campaign Ad Targets Trump’s Criminal Conviction—Features Beyoncé’s ‘Freedom’
Read More

Kamala Harris’ First Campaign Ad Targets Trump’s Criminal Conviction—Features Beyoncé’s ‘Freedom’

Forbes Business Breaking Kamala Harris’ First Campaign Ad Targets Trump’s Criminal Conviction—Features Beyoncé’s ‘Freedom’ Sara Dorn Forbes Staff Sara Dorn is a Forbes news reporter who covers politics. Following Jul 25, 2024, 10:25am EDT Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Share to Linkedin Topline Vice President Kamala Harris debuted her first ad for president Thursday
‘She had a bright future ahead of her, he couldn’t handle it’: Fresh agony for family of Italian student strangled by boyfriend during lockdown because he thought she gave him Covid – as killer’s life sentenced quashed
Read More

‘She had a bright future ahead of her, he couldn’t handle it’: Fresh agony for family of Italian student strangled by boyfriend during lockdown because he thought she gave him Covid – as killer’s life sentenced quashed

The family of an Italian student strangled by her boyfriend during lockdown has been left outraged after her killer's life sentence was squashed.  Calabrian nurse Antonio de Pace was handed the life sentence after he strangled 27-year-old Lorena Quaranta to death in their home in Furci Siculo, in the Sicilian province of Messina, in March 2020.  Lorena
Just Stop Oil co-founder Roger Hallam brands judge who jailed him for five years over plots to block the M25 motorway ‘a fanatic’ in scathing letter from behind bars
Read More

Just Stop Oil co-founder Roger Hallam brands judge who jailed him for five years over plots to block the M25 motorway ‘a fanatic’ in scathing letter from behind bars

An eco-activist jailed for five years for paralysing the M25 has hit out at the judge who put him behind bars, branding him a 'fanatic'. In a letter written from prison, Just Stop Oil co-founder Roger Hallam claimed his trial judge had refused to let the jury see 'scientific evidence' about climate change. Hallam, 58