Florida doc, 84, couldn’t hear colonoscopy patient screaming in agony because he wasn’t wearing his hearing aids: complaint

A Florida gastroenterologist has been disciplined after two recent colonoscopy procedures went awry on his watch, including at least one where he couldn’t hear an improperly-sedated patient’s screams because he wasn’t wearing his hearing aids. Dr. Ishwari Prasad, 84, has been placed on probation by the Florida Board of Medicine after the botched procedures, according

A Florida gastroenterologist has been disciplined after two recent colonoscopy procedures went awry on his watch, including at least one where he couldn’t hear an improperly-sedated patient’s screams because he wasn’t wearing his hearing aids.

Dr. Ishwari Prasad, 84, has been placed on probation by the Florida Board of Medicine after the botched procedures, according to a state Department of Health administrative complaint viewed by USA Today.

Both colonoscopies took place on June 5 last year at the Tampa Ambulatory Surgery Center.

Doctors readying a colonoscopy patient -- stock photo.
Dr. Ishwari Prasad has been placed on probation and is facing nearly $14,000 in fines and fees after two botched colonoscopies under his care. romaset – stock.adobe.com

During the first, Prasad is said to have “improperly delegated” medical tasks to a surgical tech who did not have a license to practice medicine, the complaint reads.

The tech was instructed by Prasad to perform “at least one” task from a list including scope insertion, scope manipulation, manipulating an instrument over polyps or tissue or removing polyps or tissue.

In the second problematic colonoscopy that day, the complaint says Prasad began inserting the scope before the patient was fully sedated, causing him to scream out in pain.

“[Prasad] did not immediately stop the procedure when it became apparent that [the patient] was not fully sedated,” the complaint reads in part, identifying his inability to hear the patient’s shouts as the reason.

Citing an emergency restriction order Prasad was slapped with last September, the Miami Herald reported that the problem with the sedation was due to an issue with the patient’s IV line.

“[The patient] began to yell and shouted that he was in pain and could still feel everything,” according to the order viewed by the Herald. “Dr. Prasad continued to move the scope while [the patient] continued to scream.”

Ambulatory Surgery Center Tampa
The two procedures that landed Dr. Prasad in trouble took place June 5 of last year at Ambulatory Surgery Center Tampa. FOX13 Tampa

The outlet also wrote that during the second procedure, a hospital administrator in the room told Prasad he had to wait, prompting the doctor to lean over the patient and shout “I know!” while continuing to manipulate the scope.

During the investigation into the incidents, the surgical tech revealed she routinely assists the doctor with an assortment of medical tasks beyond her training during colonoscopies, indicating this was, “because Dr. Prasad is unable to perform them himself.”

She told investigators she “pushes the scope, holds the scope, cuts polyps, puts clips on and removes and pulls out specimens,” the emergency order says.

Prasad, who got his Florida medical license in 1990, has been fined $7,500 and will be required to pay $6,301 in case costs on top of that.

The terms of his suspension require him to take a five-hour continuing medical education class before Aug. 7 of next year.

During his probationary period, Prasad will not be allowed to perform any medical procedures on his own until he’s reviewed and evaluated for competency or performs 10 gastroenterology procedures under the supervision of another physician who will then pass a recommendation to the committee overseeing his probation.

Total
0
Shares
Leave a Reply
Related Posts
Sick serial killer Levi Bellfield who murdered 13-year-old Milly Dowler is BLOCKED from having a civil partnership after new rules introduced to stop the most serious offenders from getting married behind bars
Read More

Sick serial killer Levi Bellfield who murdered 13-year-old Milly Dowler is BLOCKED from having a civil partnership after new rules introduced to stop the most serious offenders from getting married behind bars

Serial killer Levi Bellfield has been blocked from having a civil partnership, after a new law came into force stopping the most serious offenders getting married behind bars. Bellfield is serving two whole life orders for killing 13-year-old Milly Dowler, Marsha McDonnell and Amelie Delagrange, as well as the attempted murder of Kate Sheedy. It
Garden centre starts selling Christmas trees on hottest day of the year: Festive decorations fill shelves as temperature hits 32C
Read More

Garden centre starts selling Christmas trees on hottest day of the year: Festive decorations fill shelves as temperature hits 32C

A garden centre has started selling its Christmas decorations on the hottest day of the year so far.  The weather outside might have been blisteringly hot but the climate inside this Essex garden centre is decisively wintery. Summerhill's in Basildon has decided to deck the halls with boughs of holly over five months before December
Why is a convicted child rapist allowed to compete in the Olympic Games? Dutch beach volleyball player Steven van de Velde who raped British girl, 12, was allowed to represent his country after assessment by home committee
Read More

Why is a convicted child rapist allowed to compete in the Olympic Games? Dutch beach volleyball player Steven van de Velde who raped British girl, 12, was allowed to represent his country after assessment by home committee

The Dutch Olympic committee's decision to pick child rapist Steven van de Velde to compete for Paris 2024 bas baffled and caused anger among many.  But despite sexual offences limiting your chances of working in many professions, there are no rules stating a person with a criminal record cannot compete in the Olympic Games.  Convicted sex offender