Ukraine Blows Up $200M Worth Of Russian Fuel With Drone Strike on Depot

Russian firefighters are battling a three-day inferno in the southwest of the country, after a Ukrainian drone attack on an oil storage depot ignited the facility’s diesel reserves. On Saturday Rostov Oblast Governor Vasily Golubev said that Russian air defense forces had repelled an attack by a Ukrainian UAV in the town of Proletarsk, located
Ukraine Blows Up $200M Worth Of Russian Fuel With Drone Strike on Depot

Russian firefighters are battling a three-day inferno in the southwest of the country, after a Ukrainian drone attack on an oil storage depot ignited the facility’s diesel reserves.

On Saturday Rostov Oblast Governor Vasily Golubev said that Russian air defense forces had repelled an attack by a Ukrainian UAV in the town of Proletarsk, located around 150 miles from the Ukrainian border.

A day later, however, Golubev said that fallen debris from the UAV had landed on the industrial warehouses at the Proletarsk state reserve fuel facility, igniting a fire which Russian authorities have since struggled to contain.

Golubev also claimed that, due to a “repeated UAV attack” on Sunday morning, firefighting at Proletarsk was temporarily suspended.

Rostov Fire
An image taken from the Telegram channel of Russian state news agency Tass, showing fires caused by a Ukrainian drone attack raging across the town of Proletarsk in Rostov, Russia. According to local authorities, over… Tass via Telegram

Ukraine has already claimed responsibility for the attack, with Deputy Prime Minister Iryna Vereschuck taking to Telegram to celebrate the damage wrought by the attack.

“This is how, step by step, the war enters the enemy’s territory. This is the Rostov region of the Russian Federation,” Vereschuck said on Monday.

Newsweek has contacted the Ukrainian Foreign Ministry for further information on the attack.

According to Russian state-run news agency Tass via Telegram on Monday, the fire is raging across an area of 10,000 square meters, and head of the Proletarsk district administration said that over 500 firefighters have been sent to deal with the blaze.

A screenshot from a video posted to Telegram account of Russian news site Mash, which showed firefighters attempting to tackle the fire at the Proletarsk state reserve fuel facility. The Russian state-run news agency Tass…

On Monday, Governor Golubev said that a state of emergency had been declared in the district, and that 41 firefighters had been taken to the Proletarsk central district hospital to seek treatment, 18 of whom were subsequently hospitalized, with five currently in intensive care.

According to Yaroslov Trofimov, a Ukrainian-born journalist and chief foreign affairs correspondent for the Wall Street Journal, the Proletarsk facility holds up to $200 million worth of fuel, based on a domestic wholesale price of around $500 per ton of diesel.

Zelensky Starmer
Britain’s Prime Minister Keir Starmer greets Ukraine’s President Volodymyr Zelenskyy at 10 Downing Street on July 19, 2024 in London, England. Zelensky has asked for permission to use U.K.-supplied weaponry deeper into Russian territory, which… Carl Court/Getty Images

Since the launch of Russia’s full-scale invasion in February 2022, Ukraine has continued to strike industrial facilities and energy assets within Russia in the hopes of crippling its economy and military financing capabilities.

Areas near the Ukrainian border, such as Rostov, have been especially vulnerable to these sorts of strikes.

In mid-June, another Ukrainian drone attack on the Rostov Oblast ignited a fire, disrupting local power supplies and causing blackouts across parts of Morozovsk.

On August 3, Anton Gerashchenko, former adviser to the Ukrainian internal affairs minister, posted video on X showing what he claimed was the fallout from a Ukrainian drone attack on Rostov’s “Atlas Plant,” which he said “supplies the Russian army with petroleum products.”

However, Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky has continued to ask for permission to use foreign-supplied weaponry on targets deeper within Russian territory, currently prohibited by U.S. and U.K. provisions attached to their shipments.

On Monday, Zelensky’s office said that this was “the one decision” that would halt the advance of the Russian army in Ukraine, and that, if these restrictions were lifted, “Ukraine would not need to physically enter the Kursk region to protect Ukrainian citizens in the border area and destroy Russia’s potential for aggression.”

Do you have a story we should be covering? Do you have any questions about this article? Contact LiveNews@newsweek.com.

Total
0
Shares
Leave a Reply
Related Posts
Kamala Harris Hits Record Lead Over Trump, New Poll Shows
Read More

Kamala Harris Hits Record Lead Over Trump, New Poll Shows

Vice President Kamala Harris earned Democrats their highest lead over former President Donald Trump in nearly a year, according to a poll from Morning Consult. The pollster released its latest survey on the 2024 election on Monday, which found Harris leading Trump 48 percent to 44 percent among registered voters across the country. Morning Consult
No. 1 prospect Holliday heading to Baltimore to join O’s (source)No. 1 prospect Holliday heading to Baltimore to join O’s (source)
Read More

No. 1 prospect Holliday heading to Baltimore to join O’s (source)No. 1 prospect Holliday heading to Baltimore to join O’s (source)

No. 1 prospect Holliday heading to Baltimore to join O's (source) 1:22 AM UTC Jake Rill @JakeDRill Share share-square-233160 BALTIMORE -- MLB Pipeline’s No. 1 overall prospect appears to potentially be getting his second shot in the big leagues. Jackson Holliday was en route to Baltimore on Tuesday night, a source told MLB.com. It’s possible
Barefoot Investor Scott Pape’s urgent warning about common shopping habit after Aussie lost $1,300 because of innocent mistake
Read More

Barefoot Investor Scott Pape’s urgent warning about common shopping habit after Aussie lost $1,300 because of innocent mistake

The Barefoot Investor has urged Aussies to double-check how much they're paying after a man was accidentally charged more than $1,000 for a sandwich. Scott Pape, 46, said that he like many others simply tapped his card when buying and left without double-checking the price or even getting a receipt. But he was shocked to read