NASA offers few answers on astronauts stuck in space, says decision will come in 2 weeks

NASA is expecting to make a final decision before the end of the month as to when and how to bring home two astronauts who have been stuck at the International Space Station for more than two months. Astronauts Butch Wilmore and Suni Williams launched on Boeing’s Starliner spacecraft in early June, on a journey
NASA offers few answers on astronauts stuck in space, says decision will come in 2 weeks

NASA is expecting to make a final decision before the end of the month as to when and how to bring home two astronauts who have been stuck at the International Space Station for more than two months.

Astronauts Butch Wilmore and Suni Williams launched on Boeing’s Starliner spacecraft in early June, on a journey that was meant to last just over a week. But several issues were detected as the vehicle traveled to the orbiting outpost, forcing the pair to stay in space far longer than anticipated.

NASA officials said Wednesday that engineers and technical experts are combing through weeks of data from tests and weighing different options for how to return the astronauts to Earth.

Ken Bowersox, associate administrator of NASA’s Space Operations Mission Directorate, said they will likely complete their analysis next week, after which a formal review will be conducted “around the end of next week, potentially beginning of the following week.”

NASA is deciding whether to fly Wilmore and Williams back aboard the beleaguered Starliner or use one of SpaceX’s Dragon capsules to bring them home instead.

,

,

Image: Astronauts Suni Williams, left, and Butch Wilmore
Astronauts Suni Williams, left, and Butch Wilmore give a news conference aboard the International Space Station on July 10.NASA via AP file

,

,

If the agency opts to call on SpaceX for the return flight, Wilmore and Williams would need to remain on the space station for six more months.

A SpaceX Dragon capsule is scheduled to launch new crew members to the orbiting outpost in September on a mission known as Crew-9. NASA has said it could alter those plans to send up two astronauts instead of the originally planned four, and then use the empty seats to bring Wilmore and Williams home at the end of the Crew-9 mission in February.

In that case, the Starliner capsule would return to Earth without a crew, according to NASA.

Bowersox said Wednesday that while no decision has been made yet, the agency will need to settle on a plan soon in order to manage resources at the space station and keep operations in orbit running smoothly.

“We’re reaching a point where, that last week in August, we really should be making a call, if not sooner,” he said.

Wilmore and Williams’ launch marked the  first crewed test flight of Boeing’s Starliner capsule. The mission was designed to be a crucial final test before NASA could certify Boeing to make regular flights to and from the ISS.

But five of Starliner’s thrusters malfunctioned as the spacecraft was approaching the space station in June, causing delays during the rendezvous and docking process. Helium was also leaking from the capsule’s propulsion system during flight — a problem that mission managers knew about before Starliner launched into orbit but had said was unlikely to affect the mission or the astronauts’ safety.

Joe Acaba, chief of the Astronaut Office at NASA’s Johnson Space Center in Houston, said that astronauts are trained for contingencies, including mishaps that may keep them in space longer than expected.

Wilmore and Williams have been using their extra time in orbit to conduct scientific experiments and help space station crew members with maintenance tasks.

Acaba said that while the duo has been kept up to date on NASA’s decision-making process, they must ultimately rely on the expertise of engineers and mission managers on the ground.

“They will do what we ask them to do, and that’s their job as astronauts,” Acaba said.

,

Total
0
Shares
Leave a Reply
Related Posts
Biden-Harris Issues Proposed Rule to Get Illegals into College Prep Programs
Read More

Biden-Harris Issues Proposed Rule to Get Illegals into College Prep Programs

President Joe Biden and Vice President Kamala Harris’s Department of Education is issuing a proposed rule to open taxpayer-funded college preparatory programs to illegal aliens. The programs were initially intended for low-income young Americans. In July, the Department of Education rolled out its proposed rule to expand federal TRIO programs to illegal aliens — particularly those enrolled
Sizzling-hot Padres playing their best baseball at the right timeSizzling-hot Padres playing their best baseball at the right time
Read More

Sizzling-hot Padres playing their best baseball at the right timeSizzling-hot Padres playing their best baseball at the right time

Sizzling-hot Padres playing their best baseball at the right time 12:14 AM UTC AJ Cassavell @AJCassavell Share share-square-644850 SAN DIEGO -- The Padres are not merely playing their best baseball of the season. They’re playing some of the best baseball they’ve ever played. San Diego thrashed Pittsburgh again on Wednesday afternoon at Petco Park, an
J.D. Vance defends his ‘childless cat lady’ comments: Trump VP gives surprising explanation to Megyn Kelly for remarks that sparked fury and a response from Jennifer Aniston
Read More

J.D. Vance defends his ‘childless cat lady’ comments: Trump VP gives surprising explanation to Megyn Kelly for remarks that sparked fury and a response from Jennifer Aniston

Republican vice presidential hopeful, Sen. J.D. Vance, said Friday that his 'childless cat lady' comment was 'sarcastic' but doubled down on Democrats having 'anti-family' and 'anti-child' stances.  'Obviously, it was a sarcastic comment. I've got nothing against cats, I've got nothing against dogs, I've got one dog at home and I love him,' the Ohio