Harris Accuses Trump Of ‘Backpedaling’ On Debate Promise

Forbes Business Breaking Harris Accuses Trump Of ‘Backpedaling’ On Debate Promise Molly Bohannon Forbes Staff Molly Bohannon has been a Forbes news reporter since 2023. Following Jul 25, 2024, 04:10pm EDT Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Share to Linkedin Topline Former President Donald Trump told reporters Tuesday he will debate Vice President Kamala Harris
Harris Accuses Trump Of ‘Backpedaling’ On Debate Promise

Harris Accuses Trump Of ‘Backpedaling’ On Debate Promise

Following

Topline

Former President Donald Trump told reporters Tuesday he will debate Vice President Kamala Harris now that she is the presumptive Democratic nominee—though Harris responded Thursday and accused Trump of “backpedaling” on his commitment to a September debate.

Key Facts

Trump told reporters Tuesday he “would be willing to do more than one debate” with Harris, who will likely be the Democratic nominee now that President Joe Biden has left the race, multiple outlets reported.

The former president said he believes the Republican and Democratic nominees “have an obligation” to debate,” adding “debating is important for a presidential race.”

On Thursday, Harris took to X, formerly known as Twitter, to say she’s “ready” to debate Trump but accused him of “backpedaling” after agreeing to a Sept. 10 debate with Biden.

Harris added she thinks “the voters deserve to see the split screen that exists on a debate stage.”

Trump previously agreed to two debates with Biden, the first of which, on June 27, saw a poor performance from Biden that began the deluge of concern about his age and ability to govern and calls for him to leave the race.

Get Forbes Breaking News Text Alerts: We’re launching text message alerts so you’ll always know the biggest stories shaping the day’s headlines. Text “Alerts” to (201) 335-0739 or sign up here.


What We Don’t Know

The details of a Harris-Trump debate. The second debate Biden and Trump agreed to was set to be hosted by ABC and scheduled for Sept. 10. It’s not yet known whether Harris and Trump will keep that debate date, change it, or keep it and add another before or after—though Harris’ tweet indicates she is ready to keep that date. Trump said on the campaign call Tuesday he was “not thrilled” the second debate was set to be hosted by ABC and he would prefer it be hosted by Fox, The New York Times reported. The former president also said Fox should host the debate on Monday in a Truth Social post, saying he thinks the debate “should be held on FoxNews, rather than very biased ABC.”

What To Watch For

Whether Trump tries to change the terms of the debates. He reportedly said the terms he previously agreed to only applied to debates with Biden.

Key Background

Trump and Biden agreed to two debates in mid-May. Trump’s team had been pushing for debates for months, and Biden agreed, eventually telling Trump over social media “make my day, pal, I’ll even do it twice.” The June debate ended up being disastrous for Biden, who lost his train of thought and had to correct himself at the start of the debate. The performance didn’t get better and Biden addressed it over the next few days, saying he knew he doesn’t debate as well as he once did but that he still believed he was the right candidate to beat Trump. After weeks of calls for him to leave the race, however, Biden announced Sunday he was ending his bid for reelection and endorsing Harris as the nominee.

Big Number

51.3 million. That’s how many people watched the first debate between Biden and Trump. The viewership marked a decrease of about 30% from the pair’s first debate in 2020.

Further Reading

ForbesBiden Says ‘I Don’t Debate As Well As I Used To’ In Fiery Speech After Rocky Thursday Face-Off With Trump ForbesTrump Accepts Biden’s Challenge To Debate Twice-Starting Next Month ForbesOver 51 Million Watched Trump-Biden Debate On TV-Way Down From 2020

Follow me on  TwitterSend me a secure  tip

Israel and Hamas. Previously, she has covered a range of topics from Donald Trump’s legal battles to Taylor Swift’s path to becoming a billionaire. She joined Forbes in April 2022 and is based in Colorado. Prior to joining Forbes, Bohannon covered local news and spent time at the Fort Collins Coloradoan and the Arizona Republic. She graduated with a degree in journalism from Creighton University and has an MA in investigative journalism from Arizona State. Follow Bohannon for continued coverage of pop culture, politics and updates on the war in Gaza. 

“>

Total
0
Shares
Leave a Reply
Related Posts
Coroner rules NHS staff missed chances to diagnose a woman, 39, who died in ‘over-crowded’ A&E after suffering a bleed on her brain and waiting eight hours to be seen
Read More

Coroner rules NHS staff missed chances to diagnose a woman, 39, who died in ‘over-crowded’ A&E after suffering a bleed on her brain and waiting eight hours to be seen

An inquest has heard NHS staff 'missed opportunities' to diagnose a brain bleed in a 39-year-old mother who had a seizure after hours of waiting in a crowded A&E waiting-room. Concluding the inquest on Thursday, Nottinghamshire coroner Elizabeth Didcock ruled Inga Rublite died of natural causes having had a condition that had 'likely been present
Latest Northern Lights Forecast: Where To See The Northern Lights Tonight—Possibly The Last Time This Week
Read More

Latest Northern Lights Forecast: Where To See The Northern Lights Tonight—Possibly The Last Time This Week

Forbes Innovation Breaking Latest Northern Lights Forecast: Where To See The Northern Lights Tonight—Possibly The Last Time This Week Arianna Johnson Forbes Staff Johnson is a reporter on the Forbes news desk who covers explainers. Following Aug 1, 2024, 11:32am EDT Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Share to Linkedin Topline This week’s geomagnetic storm