Gang kills at least 26 villagers in remote Papua New Guinea, officials say

Officials says at least 26 people have been reportedly killed by a gang of men in three remote villages in Papua New Guinea’s East Sepik province Gang kills at least 26 villagers in remote Papua New Guinea, officials sayThe Associated PressMELBOURNE, Australia MELBOURNE, Australia (AP) — At least 26 people were reportedly killed by a
Gang kills at least 26 villagers in remote Papua New Guinea, officials say

Officials says at least 26 people have been reportedly killed by a gang of men in three remote villages in Papua New Guinea’s East Sepik province

Gang kills at least 26 villagers in remote Papua New Guinea, officials sayThe Associated PressMELBOURNE, Australia

MELBOURNE, Australia (AP) — At least 26 people were reportedly killed by a gang in three remote villages in Papua New Guinea’s north, United Nations and police officials say.

“It was a very terrible thing … when I approached the area, I saw that there were children, men, women. They were killed by a group of 30 young men,” acting Provincial Police Commander in the South Pacific island nation’s East Sepik province James Baugen told Australian Broadcasting Corp. on Friday.

Baugen told the ABC that all the houses in the villages had been burned and the remaining villagers were sheltering at a police station, too scared to name the perpetrators.

“Some of the bodies left in the night were taken by crocodiles into the swamp. We only saw the place where they were killed. There were heads chopped off,” Baugen said, adding that the attackers were hiding and there were no arrests yet.

U.N. Commissioner for Human Rights Volker Turk said in a statement Wednesday that the attacks happened on July 16 and July 18.

“I am horrified by the shocking eruption of deadly violence in Papua New Guinea, seemingly as the result of a dispute over land and lake ownership and user rights,” Turk said.

Turk said at least 26 people had reportedly died, including 16 children.

“This number could rise to over 50, as local authorities search for missing people. In addition, more than 200 villagers fled as their homes were torched,” Turk said.

Total
0
Shares
Leave a Reply
Related Posts
Outrageous greed of LGBT charity GLAAD’s CEO is revealed: Expensed astonishing slew of luxury purchases to non-profit ‘which punished junior staffer for trying to claim back cup of COFFEE’
Read More

Outrageous greed of LGBT charity GLAAD’s CEO is revealed: Expensed astonishing slew of luxury purchases to non-profit ‘which punished junior staffer for trying to claim back cup of COFFEE’

The Chief Executive of an LGBTQ advocacy group expensed astonishing luxuries including first class flights, luxury hotels and home renovations.  Sarah Kate Ellis, the President of Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation (GLAAD), is facing questions by legal experts over her use of charity funds. The New York Times reviewed expense reports, receipts, tax filings and
Báez’s 2-run blast shocks Muñoz, sinks MarinersBáez’s 2-run blast shocks Muñoz, sinks Mariners
Read More

Báez’s 2-run blast shocks Muñoz, sinks MarinersBáez’s 2-run blast shocks Muñoz, sinks Mariners

Báez's 2-run blast shocks Muñoz, sinks Mariners Seattle closer had not allowed a hit since July 4, a streak stretching 12 appearances 7:52 PM UTC Jason Beck @beckjason Share share-square-283764 DETROIT -- The Tigers brought out the brooms against the Mariners with their second straight late-inning comeback at Comerica Park. This time, Javier Báez powered
I want to apologise to Khelif – Italian boxer Carini
Read More

I want to apologise to Khelif – Italian boxer Carini

I want to apologise to Khelif - Italian boxer Carini Image source, Getty Images Image caption, Angela Carini (right) said she had "never been hit with such a powerful punch". Published 8 minutes ago Italian boxer Angela Carini, who abandoned her Olympic bout against Algeria's Imane Khelif inside 46 seconds, says she "wants to apologise"