Husband, 34, is found not guilty of ‘brutally’ raping wife, 25, on their wedding night and every night of their honeymoon after arranged marriage

A husband accused of sexually assaulting his wife after their wedding reception and on every night of their honeymoon has been found not guilty of rape. The man, who cannot be named for legal reasons, wept as Judge Pauline David found him not guilty of two counts of aggravated sexual assault, five counts of sexual
Husband, 34, is found not guilty of ‘brutally’ raping wife, 25, on their wedding night and every night of their honeymoon after arranged marriage

A husband accused of sexually assaulting his wife after their wedding reception and on every night of their honeymoon has been found not guilty of rape.

The man, who cannot be named for legal reasons, wept as Judge Pauline David found him not guilty of two counts of aggravated sexual assault, five counts of sexual assault and another two counts of assault.

He had been accused of brutally raping his wife four times on August 26, 2018, after their wedding reception in Liverpool, southwest of Sydney.

They had an arranged marriage just over a month after meeting through friends’ recommendations.

The woman gave evidence at her husband’s District Court trial that he forced himself on top of her once they arrived at their Sydney hotel room and he had intercourse with her despite her ‘begging’ him to stop.

She accused him of saying ‘it’s my wedding night’ and ‘stop resisting, it will be harder’, asserting the force of the penetration caused her to bleed.

The husband had been accused of three other incidents of sexual assault that night, along with others during their honeymoon in the NSW Blue Mountains.

The woman reported experiencing extreme pain and bleeding on each occasion.

A husband accused of sexually assaulting his wife after their wedding reception and on every night of their honeymoon has been found not guilty of rape (file picture)

A husband accused of sexually assaulting his wife after their wedding reception and on every night of their honeymoon has been found not guilty of rape (file picture)

Her husband was further accused of slapping her across the face three times during an argument in September 2018, along with another incident where he was said to have punched her at least 20 times after she threw a glass of water on him.

The defendant maintained all sex was consensual and he never struck her.

Judge David agreed, finding the wife to be an ‘unreliable witness’ and saying she had been given no evidence the accused had any tendency to be violent.

The judge found inconsistencies saying that texts and photos tendered in court showed the wife to be ‘warm and affectionate’.

She said the wife looked happy, warm, close and affectionate in photos from the honeymoon, reflecting ‘an entirely different presentation’ the day after allegations of ‘what can only be described as a brutal rape’.

Texts from after their honeymoon showed the wife pleading with the husband to see her, repeatedly expressing her love for him and describing him as ‘my life’.

Judge David also noted the wife had apologised over the alleged assault incident from October 2018 where she described being punched 20 times, making no mention of any violence.

‘Her testimony is completely at odds and contrary with her insistence he come and spend the night with her,’ the judge said.

”I’m waiting for you’, ‘I need you’, ‘all night is too long’ … these are messages she sent to the accused … it is entirely clear this is at conflict with what she said in her evidence.’

The accused was 34 years old at the time of their wedding, while the wife was 25.

The pair have since divorced.

The accused’s lawyer flagged they would apply for their legal costs to be covered.

1800 RESPECT (1800 737 732)

National Sexual Abuse and Redress Support Service 1800 211 028

Total
0
Shares
Leave a Reply
Related Posts
How Lola Anderson turned her dream into reality: Team GB rower says she ‘threw away’ her childhood diary entry about her dream of winning the Olympics because she ‘didn’t believe’ it could happen
Read More

How Lola Anderson turned her dream into reality: Team GB rower says she ‘threw away’ her childhood diary entry about her dream of winning the Olympics because she ‘didn’t believe’ it could happen

Aged 13, Lola Anderson wrote in her diary she wanted to win the Olympics, then tore the page out in embarrassment. But her father Don secretly retrieved it from the wastebasket and years later, when he was on his deathbed, he gave it back to her — and urged her to live her dreams. Yesterday
BREAKING NEWSJust Stop Oil activists who threw tomato soup over priceless Van Gogh Sunflowers painting are found guilty of criminal damage
Read More

BREAKING NEWSJust Stop Oil activists who threw tomato soup over priceless Van Gogh Sunflowers painting are found guilty of criminal damage

Just Stop Oil activists who threw tomato soup over a priceless Van Gogh painting have been found guilty of criminal damage.  Anna Holland and Phoebe Plummer, both 22, flung two tins of Heinz soup at the Dutch artist's 1888 masterpiece while it was on display at the National Gallery on October 14, 2022. The pair then