Some Health Care Providers Are Prescribing Incorrect Doses Of Compounded Ozempic—Causing Possible Overdoses, FDA Warns

Forbes Business Breaking Some Health Care Providers Are Prescribing Incorrect Doses Of Compounded Ozempic—Causing Possible Overdoses, FDA Warns Ty Roush Forbes Staff Ty Roush is a breaking news reporter based in New York City. Following Jul 26, 2024, 12:01pm EDT Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Share to Linkedin Topline The Food and Drug Administration
Some Health Care Providers Are Prescribing Incorrect Doses Of Compounded Ozempic—Causing Possible Overdoses, FDA Warns

Some Health Care Providers Are Prescribing Incorrect Doses Of Compounded Ozempic—Causing Possible Overdoses, FDA Warns

Following

Topline

The Food and Drug Administration on Friday issued a notice to health care providers and patients about dosing errors with compounded versions of Novo Nordisk’s weight loss drug Ozempic, after the agency received reports of possible overdoses from patients who took up to 20 times the prescribed dosage.

Key Facts

The FDA received an unspecified number of reports of dosing errors involving compounded semaglutide—the active ingredient in Ozempic and Wegovy—from patients prescribed the drug, including some who required medical attention or hospitalization, according to the agency.

A “majority” of the reports indicated patients mistakenly drew up more than the prescribed dose from a multiple-dose vial while self-administering the drug, with patients taking between five and 20 times the intended dose, the FDA said.

Adverse events reported by the dosing errors included nausea, abdominal pain, fainting, acute pancreatitis and gallstones, among others, the FDA said.

The reports also indicated patients were unfamiliar and untrained with how to measure the dose using a syringe, the FDA said, including one report from a patient who said they had challenges understanding instructions from their health care provider.

Several reports described health care providers prescribing incorrect doses, including one health care provider who intended to prescribe a 5-unit dose but prescribed a 25-unit dose instead, while another prescribed a 20-unit dose instead of a 2-unit dose to a patient who experienced nausea and vomiting.

Get Forbes Breaking News Text Alerts: We’re launching text message alerts so you’ll always know the biggest stories shaping the day’s headlines. Text “Alerts” to (201) 335-0739 or sign up here.


Key Background

The FDA issued a warning last year about compounded semaglutide, suggesting patients shouldn’t use a compounded drug if an approved drug is available. Compounded drugs—medications combining or changing ingredients—aren’t FDA-approved or regulated, as the agency is also unable to verify the safety of the medications. The FDA advised patients to be cautious about purchasing semaglutide products, as some compounded semaglutide drugs may not include the same active ingredients as approved medications and may contain salt formulations, which the FDA noted were neither safe nor effective.

Tangent

Novo Nordisk has sued more than a dozen medical spas, wellness clinics and pharmacies over the last year for the alleged sale of compounded versions of Ozempic and Wegovy as they periodically appear on the FDA’s drug shortage list.

Further Reading

ForbesCounterfeit Ozempic Crackdown: Drugmakers Threaten Clinics For Compounding Drugs During Shortages

Follow me on  TwitterSend me a secure  tip
Total
0
Shares
Leave a Reply
Related Posts
Former England batter Thorpe took his own life, family says
Read More

Former England batter Thorpe took his own life, family says

Former England batter Thorpe took his own life, family says Image source, PA Media Image caption, Between his playing and coaching careers, Graham Thorpe spent nearly 30 years as a key part of the England set-up Published 12 August 2024, 09:30 BST Updated 2 hours ago Former England and Surrey batter Graham Thorpe took his
Senate passes bill to protect kids online and make tech companies accountable for harmful content
Read More

Senate passes bill to protect kids online and make tech companies accountable for harmful content

The Senate has passed legislation designed to protect children from dangerous online content Senate passes bill to protect kids online and make tech companies accountable for harmful contentBy MARY CLARE JALONICK and BARBARA ORTUTAYAssociated PressThe Associated PressWASHINGTON WASHINGTON (AP) — The Senate overwhelmingly passed legislation Tuesday that is designed to protect children from dangerous online
Big dad energy: How Harris got to Walz
Read More

Big dad energy: How Harris got to Walz

Vice President Kamala Harris had just 16 days to pick someone she could be linked to forever. She ended up going with one of the options that she — and the rest of the world — knew the least.  Minnesota Gov. Tim Walz was a dark horse from the start, left off early lists of potential