Trump promises more outdoor rallies despite Secret Service warning after assassination attempt

Former President Trump said he would continue holding large outdoor rallies just two weeks after he was nearly killed at one by a would-be assassin. “I WILL CONTINUE TO DO OUTDOOR RALLIES, AND SECRET SERVICE HAS AGREED TO SUBSTANTIALLY STEP UP THEIR OPERATION,” Trump posted in a defiant missive to Truth Social Saturday. “THEY ARE

Former President Trump said he would continue holding large outdoor rallies just two weeks after he was nearly killed at one by a would-be assassin.

“I WILL CONTINUE TO DO OUTDOOR RALLIES, AND SECRET SERVICE HAS AGREED TO SUBSTANTIALLY STEP UP THEIR OPERATION,” Trump posted in a defiant missive to Truth Social Saturday.

“THEY ARE VERY CAPABLE OF DOING SO. NO ONE CAN EVER BE ALLOWED TO STOP OR IMPEDE FREE SPEECH OR GATHERING!!!” he added.

Former President Trump has vowed to begin holding outdoor rallies again. REUTERS
Secret Service chief Kimberley Cheatle was forced to resign after Trump was nearly assassinated. ZUMAPRESS.com
The Secret Service has already warned Trump against doing outdoor rallies. AP

Earlier this week the Secret Service urged Trump to forgo outdoor rallies due to their added security risks after Thomas Matthew Crooks, 20, opened fire at the former president’s rally in Butler, Pa., on July 13.

Trump was grazed in the ear while retired firefighter Corey Comperatore, 50, was fatally shot. Marine veteran David Dutch, 57, and retired grandfather, James Copenhaver, 74, were also seriously injured.

Crooks was shot dead by a Secret Service sniper.

In the days following Trump’s brush with death, the Secret Service has come under scrutiny for security lapses. Agency director Kimberly Cheatle resigned Tuesday after intense questioning from bipartisan Congressional members.

Trump’s Truth Social post is also a vote of confidence for the agency at large, after a number of critics have urged him to augment his campaign with private security.

Trump’s daughter-in-law, Lara Trump, now serving as chair of the Republican National Committee, told The Post she had complete confidence in the agency to keep the former president safe.

Total
0
Shares
Leave a Reply
Related Posts
Britain’s economic growth does not rely on the EU and we must ignore pro-Brussels voices ‘overstating’ the benefits of membership, economist warns as he urges Labour to take ‘full advantage’ of Brexit
Read More

Britain’s economic growth does not rely on the EU and we must ignore pro-Brussels voices ‘overstating’ the benefits of membership, economist warns as he urges Labour to take ‘full advantage’ of Brexit

Britain's economic growth 'does not depend on the EU', a leading economist has warned the new government. Dr Gerard Lyons has urged the Prime Minister to stand firm against calls to rejoin the single market, saying he should instead take 'full advantage' of Brexit. He argued that it was best to ignore pro-Brussels voices who
Paris 2024 Olympics officials ‘order investigation into alleged death threats and anti-Semitic gestures aimed at Israeli athletes’
Read More

Paris 2024 Olympics officials ‘order investigation into alleged death threats and anti-Semitic gestures aimed at Israeli athletes’

Paris 2024 officials have ordered an investigation into alleged death threats and anti-Semitic gestures aimed at Israeli athletes during the Olympics. It's understood that the gestures were made during Israel's match against Paraguay in the men's football in Paris last night. The organisers have strongly condemned these acts and confirmed to Sky News that an official