Alvin Bragg Just ‘Kicked the Door Wide Open’ on Supreme Court Ruling—Lawyer

Manhattan District Attorney Alvin Bragg’s Wednesday motion in Donald Trump’s criminal hush money case has “kicked the door wide open” on the Supreme Court’s recent presidential immunity ruling, according to former prosecutor Glenn Kirschner. The prosecution’s filing comes nearly a month after the Supreme Court ruled in a 6-3 decision that presidents have broad immunity
Alvin Bragg Just ‘Kicked the Door Wide Open’ on Supreme Court Ruling—Lawyer

Manhattan District Attorney Alvin Bragg‘s Wednesday motion in Donald Trump‘s criminal hush money case has “kicked the door wide open” on the Supreme Court‘s recent presidential immunity ruling, according to former prosecutor Glenn Kirschner.

The prosecution’s filing comes nearly a month after the Supreme Court ruled in a 6-3 decision that presidents have broad immunity for official acts. It also ruled that official acts cannot be used as evidence if taking a case against a president for unofficial acts.

However, Kirschner, a former assistant U.S. attorney and MSNBC legal analyst who is a frequent critic of Trump, noted in a Friday YouTube video that the Court, “left a little crack of accountability daylight in their ruling,” when saying that the president can be prosecuted if the crime “violates our nation’s laws” and “involves private conduct, non-official presidential conduct.”

The Supreme Court’s ruling has impacted several criminal cases against Trump, with his lawyers in New York filing a motion in the criminal hush money case “saying it was all official presidential conduct therefore they urged the presiding Judge Juan Merchan to throw out he case in its entirety.”

Manhattan District Attorney Alvin Bragg speaks to the media after a jury found former President Donald Trump guilty on 34 felony counts of falsifying business records, May 30, 2024, in New York. On Wednesday, he… AP Photo/Seth Wenig

In May, in a case brought by Bragg, a New York jury found Trump guilty on 34 counts of falsifying business records relating to a hush money payment made to adult film star Stormy Daniels before the 2016 presidential election. Daniels alleged she had a sexual encounter with Trump in 2006, which he denies.

Trump has maintained his innocence and says the case is politically motivated. His legal team has filed to fight the case. Earlier this month, Trump’s lawyers asked the judge to throw out his conviction based on the new Supreme Court decision.

The verdict makes Trump the first former president convicted of felony crimes, and he now faces possible jail time, which, as presiding Judge Juan Merchan noted, “if such is still necessary” after the Supreme Court’s decision, will be determined on September 18.

On Wednesday, the prosecution led by Bragg responded by filing a 69-page motion calling to reject the “defendant’s belated and unpreserved effort to dismiss the indictment.”

Kirschner said that the team “looked at that little crack of daylight that the Supreme Court left open, and they kicked the door wide open.” He said that Bragg, in the motion, “argued that what Donald Trump did was not official presidential conduct, indeed most of his criminal conduct occurred before he was elected, before he was sworn in.”

Although the case is related to Trump’s 2016 election, the misconduct the jury found, involving hush money payments, happened before Trump took office, Kirschner said.

Newsweek reached out to Trump’s lawyer Todd Blanche, Kirschner, and the DA’s communications team via email on Saturday.

Bragg wrote in the motion, “For one thing, [Trump] failed to preserve an objection on immunity grounds to most of the evidence that is the subject of his current motion.”

“And, in any event, all of the evidence that he complains of either concerned wholly unofficial conduct or, at most, official conduct for which any presumption of immunity has been rebutted,” the district attorney added.

Uncommon Knowledge

Newsweek is committed to challenging conventional wisdom and finding connections in the search for common ground.

Newsweek is committed to challenging conventional wisdom and finding connections in the search for common ground.

Total
0
Shares
Leave a Reply
Related Posts
Iran Denies Cyberattack on Trump, Asks US for Evidence
Read More

Iran Denies Cyberattack on Trump, Asks US for Evidence

Iranian officials told Newsweek that U.S. intelligence claims of the Islamic Republic engaging in efforts to interfere with former President Donald Trump's 2024 campaign were baseless and called on officials in Washington to provide evidence to support them. "Such allegations are unsubstantiated and devoid of any standing," the Iranian Mission to the United Nations said
EXCLUSIVEPICTURED: Good Samaritan high school senior, 17, who met horrific fate while running to save young mom after her car crashed on Kansas freeway
Read More

EXCLUSIVEPICTURED: Good Samaritan high school senior, 17, who met horrific fate while running to save young mom after her car crashed on Kansas freeway

A Good Samaritan high school senior met a horrific fate last week while running to help a 25-year-old woman whose car had just crashed on a Kansas freeway.  Benjamin 'Ben' Van Buskirk was killed while trying to help young mother-of-one Paula Baird whose car was involved in a three-vehicle crash on Interstate 35 north of
Crawford dethrones Madrimov for WBA super-welterweight title
Read More

Crawford dethrones Madrimov for WBA super-welterweight title

Undefeated Terence Crawford made a triumphant super-welterweight debut on Saturday, dethroning previously unbeaten Israil Madrimov to capture a 154-pound world boxing title by unanimous decision. Crawford, an undisputed champion at welterweight and light-welterweight, took the World Boxing Association crown on judges’ scores of 116-112, 115-113 and 115-113. The 36-year-old US southpaw, who has also been