Notorious neo-Nazi Jacob Hersant arrested for ‘grossly offensive public conduct’ after 30 men dressed in black descended on Melbourne CBD

Victorian Police are looking to charge a notorious Australian neo-Nazi Jacob Hersant for after about 30 masked men descended on Melbourne’s Flinders Street station. Officers arrested the 24-year-old North Melbourne man at the scene on Saturday where he was interviewed for ‘grossly offensive public conduct’. Hersant, who in 2023 became the first Victorian charged with
Notorious neo-Nazi Jacob Hersant arrested for ‘grossly offensive public conduct’ after 30 men dressed in black descended on Melbourne CBD

Victorian Police are looking to charge a notorious Australian neo-Nazi Jacob Hersant for after about 30 masked men descended on Melbourne‘s Flinders Street station.

Officers arrested the 24-year-old North Melbourne man at the scene on Saturday where he was interviewed for ‘grossly offensive public conduct’.

Hersant, who in 2023 became the first Victorian charged with allegedly performing a Nazi salute in public after a crackdown on state laws, was released with intent to summons, and will appear in court at a later stage.

He is also expected to appear at the Melbourne Magistrates Court in September for the 2023 charges.

Eight other men were also interviewed by police for offensive behaviour in a public place, and were also released with intent to summons.

About 30 dressed in black stormed the major train station at about 4.10pm where they began to chant offensive phrases and held up a banner which read: ‘Mass Deportation Now’.

The unplanned demonstration was organised by the National Socialist Network, which are reported to be the largest neo-Nazi and white supremacist group operating in Australia.

Victoria Police say the group quickly dispersed once police arrived at the scene, where officers seized their banner and a flag.

Australian neo-Nazi Jacob Hersant was arrested for 'grossly offensive public conduct' in Melbourne on Sautrday

Australian neo-Nazi Jacob Hersant was arrested for ‘grossly offensive public conduct’ in Melbourne on Sautrday 

Hersant was part of a 30-man unplanned demonstration at Flinders Station in the CBD

Hersant was part of a 30-man unplanned demonstration at Flinders Station in the CBD

‘Police will assess the circumstances surrounding the demonstration and review vision of the incident and people involved,’ a spokesperson said in a statement.

‘Anyone who witnessed the incident, with footage or information is urged to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000 or submit a confidential report online.’

In April, Hersant and fellow known neo-Nazi Thomas Sewell ducked a challenge against their sentences over an attack on a group of hikers during a demonstration at the Cathedral Ranges State Park on May 8, 2021.

At the time County Court Judge Kellie Blair sentenced Sewell to 37 days in jail, however he was allowed to walk free after the court acknowledged he had already spent more than six months in solitary confinement on remand.

Hersant was sentenced to 200 hours of community service.

Police also spoke to eight other men for offensive behaviour in a public place

Police also spoke to eight other men for offensive behaviour in a public place

Hersant (right) became the first Victorian charged with allegedly performing a Nazi salute in public in 2023

Hersant (right) became the first Victorian charged with allegedly performing a Nazi salute in public in 2023

Justice Karen Emerton told the court that Judge Kellie Blair was entitled to treat Sewell’s time on remand as punishment enough.

She said the panel had found Hersant’s sentence manifestly inadequate but dismissed the appeal with the court’s ‘residual discretion’.

‘It would be counter-productive to return him to custody in circumstances where he was a young offender who had completed all 200 hours of work imposed under the community corrections order,’ Justice Emerton said.

Hersant and Sewell were also involved in the highly maligned neo-Nazi Australia Day demonstration in Sydney this year, with police intercepting the group of about 70 masked men at North Sydney station.

Total
0
Shares
Leave a Reply
Related Posts
Grimes’ Mother Blasts Musk—Accuses Him Of Keeping Children From Their Mother
Read More

Grimes’ Mother Blasts Musk—Accuses Him Of Keeping Children From Their Mother

Forbes Business Breaking Grimes’ Mother Blasts Musk—Accuses Him Of Keeping Children From Their Mother Brian Bushard Forbes Staff Brian is a Boston-based Forbes breaking news reporter. Following Jul 27, 2024, 04:30pm EDT Updated Jul 27, 2024, 04:57pm EDT Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Share to Linkedin Topline The mother of billionaire Elon Musk’s former
Nazi Concentration Camp Secretary, 99, Loses Appeal
Read More

Nazi Concentration Camp Secretary, 99, Loses Appeal

A German court on Tuesday upheld the conviction of 99-year-old Irmgard Furchner, who was found guilty of being an accessory to over 10,000 murders during World War II. Furchner served as a secretary to the SS commander at the Nazi Stutthof concentration camp. Prosecutors have indicated that Furchner's trial may be one of the last
Graterol has Grade 3 hamstring strain, likely done for seasonGraterol has Grade 3 hamstring strain, likely done for season
Read More

Graterol has Grade 3 hamstring strain, likely done for seasonGraterol has Grade 3 hamstring strain, likely done for season

Graterol has Grade 3 hamstring strain, likely done for season 6:25 AM UTC Juan Toribio @juanctoribio Share share-square-514362 LOS ANGELES -- Brusdar Graterol couldn’t contain his excitement. After missing 113 games with a right shoulder injury, Graterol was jumping up and down pregame now that he was finally back on the active roster and in
Tory Police and Crime Commissioner claims far-right protesters who have brought chaos onto the streets are trying to ‘protect Britain’s sovereignty and identity’ and that arresting rioters is ‘treating the symptom and not the cause’
Read More

Tory Police and Crime Commissioner claims far-right protesters who have brought chaos onto the streets are trying to ‘protect Britain’s sovereignty and identity’ and that arresting rioters is ‘treating the symptom and not the cause’

The UK's most senior Police Commissioner has stood by her comments after coming under fire for claiming the far-right riots devastating the country are trying to 'protect Britain's sovereignty' and 'uphold British values'. Hampshire and Isle of Wight PCC Donna Jones shared a statement last night calling for 'calm' but urged reflection and examination of