BioShock Netflix Movie Scaled Back, Now A “More Personal” Film

Netflix’s movie based on the BioShock game series remains in the works, but it’s undergoing significant changes. Producer Roy Lee said at San Diego Comic-Con that the project is still alive, but has been “reconfigured” to become a “more personal” film. Francis Lawrence (The Hunger Games) is still on board to direct. Lee said the
BioShock Netflix Movie Scaled Back, Now A “More Personal” Film

Netflix’s movie based on the BioShock game series remains in the works, but it’s undergoing significant changes. Producer Roy Lee said at San Diego Comic-Con that the project is still alive, but has been “reconfigured” to become a “more personal” film.

Francis Lawrence (The Hunger Games) is still on board to direct. Lee said the recent changes at Netflix, where Dan Lin replaced Scott Stuber as the company’s top movie boss, have resulted in the reduced budget for the BioShock movie.

“The new regime has lowered the budgets,” Lee said, as reported by Variety. “So we’re doing a much smaller version… It’s going to be a more personal point of view, as opposed to a grander, big project.”

Regarding the changes at Netflix, Lin’s mandate at Netflix is reportedly to “improve the quality” of its movie releases and produce a “wide spectrum of films” at different budget levels to help create more content that can appeal to Netflix’s subscriber base.

Another big change is that Netflix is changing how it reportedly pays filmmakers. Whereas Netflix previously focused on volume– in 2021, it released a new film every week–Lin’s aim is to make Netflix’s films “better, cheaper, and less frequent,” a report said. Discussions are reportedly underway for filmmakers and actors to get paid based on how a film performs for Netflix instead of a big payment up front.

The BioShock movie was first announced more than two years ago in February 2022, so fans were understandably eager for any news about how it’s shaping up.

Fans may recall how, many years ago, Pirates of the Caribbean director Gore Verbinski attempted to make a $200 million, R-rated BioShock movie for Fast & Furious studio Universal. However, the studio “balked” at his pitch, including the budget and rating, Verbinski said, and the project never got off the ground.

BioShock the game series is continuing as well, as the studio Cloud Chamber is working on a new game in the franchise right now. Recently, it came to light that the developer is “ramping up” hiring.

In addition to the BioShock movie, Netflix is producing a movie and animated series based on Gears of War. The next big video game film adaptation is Borderlands, which releases in theaters on August 9.

Total
0
Shares
Leave a Reply
Related Posts
Lego Minecraft Gift Set Comes With Three Builds For Only $30
Read More

Lego Minecraft Gift Set Comes With Three Builds For Only $30

Lego and Minecraft is what you'd call a perfect pair, and if you're a completionist looking to get your hands on an exclusive bundle, you can check out this new Lego Minecraft Adventure Gift Set. Available for $30, this is a three-in-one collection that compiles three popular Minecraft sets into one convenient package. Inside, you'll
How much are garages ripping YOU off by and could you save £5 by filling up at another station five minutes away? Use our interactive tool and map to find out…
Read More

How much are garages ripping YOU off by and could you save £5 by filling up at another station five minutes away? Use our interactive tool and map to find out…

Drivers are being fleeced out of an extra £3 each time they fill their tank because of greedy petrol stations, analysis suggests. The Competition and Markets Authority (CMA) today said that retailers' fuel margins – the difference between what they pay for fuel and the price they sell it at – are 'still significantly above
Should Bob Ballard have lost Olympics job for ‘sexist’ joke? Row after Eurosport fire commentator for makeup gag – as 72% of MailOnline readers say he should have been allowed to stay on
Read More

Should Bob Ballard have lost Olympics job for ‘sexist’ joke? Row after Eurosport fire commentator for makeup gag – as 72% of MailOnline readers say he should have been allowed to stay on

Eurosport commentator Bob Ballard was today backed by nearly three quarters of MailOnline readers after making a sexist remark about Australia's female swimmers at the Olympics. Ballard, 64, lost his spot on the broadcaster's commentary team after saying the 4x100m freestyle relay team were late to leave the swimming venue because they were 'doing their
It’s Tom Poo-gendhat! Tory leadership hopeful Tugendhat ‘forced to change his campaign slogan after it was discovered to spell T-U-R-D’
Read More

It’s Tom Poo-gendhat! Tory leadership hopeful Tugendhat ‘forced to change his campaign slogan after it was discovered to spell T-U-R-D’

Tory leadership hopeful Tom Tugendhat was forced into a last-minute change to his campaign slogan following a massive blunder, it has emerged. The former security minister last night launched his bid to replace Rishi Sunak and claimed he could lead the Conservatives to victory at the next general election. But, according to the Guido Fawkes blog