Connecticut Official Loses to Jewish Opponent After Antisemitic Comments

A Connecticut state representative lost a primary election Tuesday, just hours after a video surfaced of her saying that her challenger should not represent the district because he is Jewish. The incumbent, Anabel Figueroa, a Democrat, made the comments in a late July interview posted to YouTube. “We cannot allow for a person of Jewish
Connecticut Official Loses to Jewish Opponent After Antisemitic Comments

A Connecticut state representative lost a primary election Tuesday, just hours after a video surfaced of her saying that her challenger should not represent the district because he is Jewish.

The incumbent, Anabel Figueroa, a Democrat, made the comments in a late July interview posted to YouTube.

“We cannot allow for a person of Jewish origin, of Jewish origin, to represent our community,” Ms. Figueroa said in Spanish. “It’s impossible.”

Ms. Figueroa’s statement comes as Jewish Democrats across the country are contending with anxiety about antisemitism both within and outside their party. Democrats in Connecticut and beyond were quick to condemn Ms. Figueroa on Tuesday, and her opponent, Jonathan Jacobson, went on to win with a decisive 63 percent of the vote.

,

Mr. Jacobson said that outrage at his opponent’s comments had probably helped cement his support, but that he credits his victory to their substantive policy differences over issues like abortion and affordable housing.

“Ultimately, her hate, that’s not what lost her the election; her hate is not what won me the election,” Mr. Jacobson said.

Total
0
Shares
Leave a Reply
Related Posts
‘There’s still opportunity’: Cubs ready to push forward post-Deadline’There’s still opportunity’: Cubs ready to push forward post-Deadline
Read More

‘There’s still opportunity’: Cubs ready to push forward post-Deadline’There’s still opportunity’: Cubs ready to push forward post-Deadline

'There’s still opportunity': Cubs ready to push forward post-Deadline 3:30 AM UTC Jordan Bastian @MLBastian Share share-square-416454 CINCINNATI -- Moving beyond the Trade Deadline puts all the rumors and potential distractions to bed until the arrival of the offseason. The Cubs now have their roster for the remainder of this campaign and -- even with
Emergency COBRA meeting ‘to be called this morning’ after week of riots, with scores of police officers hurt, hundreds of far right thugs arrested and Britain teetering on the brink of nationwide chaos
Read More

Emergency COBRA meeting ‘to be called this morning’ after week of riots, with scores of police officers hurt, hundreds of far right thugs arrested and Britain teetering on the brink of nationwide chaos

Downing Street is expected to hold a Cobra emergency response meeting this morning after hundreds of far right thugs were arrested in riots which saw attacks on police and buildings set alight on the sixth day of escalating disorder. Prime Minister Sir Keir Starmer vowed rioters would 'regret' engaging in 'far-right thuggery' and promised those
Ex-BBC News at 10 presenter Huw Edwards faces child porn charges: Married father-of-five, 62, is accused of having 37 indecent images of children – including six under most extreme category
Read More

Ex-BBC News at 10 presenter Huw Edwards faces child porn charges: Married father-of-five, 62, is accused of having 37 indecent images of children – including six under most extreme category

Former BBC presenter Huw Edwards has been charged with child pornography offences after 37 indecent images were allegedly shared on a WhatsApp chat. Scotland Yard confirmed the 62-year-old broadcaster was facing three charges of making indecent images of children between December 2020 and April 2022. Police said Edwards was arrested on November 8 last year