Defense Secretary overrides plea agreement for accused 9/11 mastermind and two other defendants

Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin has overridden a plea agreement reached earlier this week for the accused mastermind of the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks and two other defendants, reinstating them as death penalty cases Defense Secretary overrides plea agreement for accused 9/11 mastermind and two other defendantsBy ELLEN KNICKMEYERAssociated PressThe Associated PressWASHINGTON WASHINGTON (AP) — Defense
Defense Secretary overrides plea agreement for accused 9/11 mastermind and two other defendants

Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin has overridden a plea agreement reached earlier this week for the accused mastermind of the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks and two other defendants, reinstating them as death penalty cases

Defense Secretary overrides plea agreement for accused 9/11 mastermind and two other defendantsBy ELLEN KNICKMEYERAssociated PressThe Associated PressWASHINGTON

WASHINGTON (AP) — Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin on Friday overrode a plea agreement reached earlier this week for the accused mastermind of the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks and two other defendants, reinstating them as death penalty cases.

The move comes two days after the military commission at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, announced it had reached plea deals with Khalid Sheikh Mohammed and two accused accomplices in the attacks.

Letters sent to families of the nearly 3,000 people killed in the al-Qaida attacks said the plea agreement stipulated the three would serve life sentences.

Some families of the attack’s victims condemned the deal for cutting off any possibility of full trials and possible death penalties. Republicans were quick to fault the Biden administration for the deal, although the White House said after it was announced it had no knowledge of it.

Austin wrote in an order released Friday night that “in light of the significance of the decision,” he had decided that the authority to make a decision on accepting the plea agreements was his. He nullified the agreements.

Mohammed and the other defendants had been expected to formally enter their pleas under the deal as soon as next week.

Total
0
Shares
Leave a Reply
Related Posts
Pro-Palestinian activists face complicated new decisions as Democrats gather to support a surging Kamala Harris
Read More

Pro-Palestinian activists face complicated new decisions as Democrats gather to support a surging Kamala Harris

CNN  —  Outside the heavily guarded perimeter of the Democratic convention this week, pro-Palestinian groups are preparing for tens of thousands to march in opposition to Israel’s war in Gaza. On the inside, expectations are murkier – as activists push the Democratic National Committee and Vice President Kamala Harris to take a harder line with
Family of missing Tennessee mom and her two-year-old daughter reveal haunting new leads in 20-year-old cold case: ‘Everything I told you was a lie’
Read More

Family of missing Tennessee mom and her two-year-old daughter reveal haunting new leads in 20-year-old cold case: ‘Everything I told you was a lie’

Over two decades after a Tennessee mom and her two-year-old daughter vanished without a trace, her family believe they are finally on the cusp of cracking the case. Jennifer Wix, 21, was living with her boyfriend Joey Benton and his parents in Robertson County at the time of her disappearance in March 2004.  Joey is