Ex-Mexican Official Tried to Bribe Inmates in Attempt for New Trial: Judge

A former top Mexican official, Genaro García Luna, allegedly attempted to bribe fellow inmates in an effort to get a new trial in a U.S. drug case, according to a federal judge on Wednesday. García Luna is a former secretary of public security in Mexico who served under the Felipe Calderón administration between 2006 and
Ex-Mexican Official Tried to Bribe Inmates in Attempt for New Trial: Judge

A former top Mexican official, Genaro García Luna, allegedly attempted to bribe fellow inmates in an effort to get a new trial in a U.S. drug case, according to a federal judge on Wednesday.

García Luna is a former secretary of public security in Mexico who served under the Felipe Calderón administration between 2006 and 2012. He was convicted last year of accepting bribes to shield drug cartels he was tasked to combat, and his charges include engaging in a continuing criminal enterprise. García Luna, 56, has denied the charges against him and is currently awaiting sentencing.

According to the Associated Press (AP), U.S. District Judge Brian Cogan on Wednesday dismissed García Luna’s request for a retrial in his U.S drug case.

In the ruling, Cogan pointed out allegations that García Luna tried to bribe fellow inmates into making false statements to support his bid for a new trial.

Outside view of the Brooklyn court where the trial of the former Mexican Secretary of Public Security Genaro Garcia Luna is being held, located in the Brooklyn borough of New York City on February 21,… Kena Betancur / AFP/Getty Images

The allegations of bribery came to light earlier this year when prosecutors presented evidence, including handwritten notes from a former cellmate and a covert recording of a conversation with García Luna, the AP reported.

Despite defense claims that the accusations were unfounded and the recording was unclear, Cogan found the evidence credible, calling it “a clear scheme by defendant to obstruct justice through bribery.”

In response, defense attorney César de Castro condemned the ruling and said the court did not address fundamental issues with the prosecution, which he said included claims of false testimony by prosecution witnesses and withholding of potentially exculpatory evidence.

“We are extraordinarily disappointed with the court’s decision,” Castro told the AP, adding that García Luna plans to appeal the ruling.

Newsweek has reached out to the U.S. Attorney’s Office of Eastern New York via email for comment.

Following the initial verdict, defense attorneys submitted a sworn statement from another inmate, who alleged that a prosecution witness had vowed to “screw” García Luna and had communicated with a second government witness using a contraband cellphone, the AP reported. The defense argued that this supported their theory that García Luna was framed by cartel members and corrupt officials seeking leniency.

However, prosecutors countered in a March filing that said the inmate providing the statement had a psychotic disorder and hallucinations. They also reported that government witnesses denied any such communications and claimed that García Luna offered other inmates up to $2 million to make similar false claims, the AP reported.

Additionally, according to the AP, García Luna allegedly sought to persuade an inmate to say he overheard a conversation involving a second government witness about fabricating a bribery claim.

The judge also determined that García Luna’s defense team was unaware of his attempts to influence witness testimonies.

Meanwhile, García Luna was already considered a controversial figure in Mexico due to the staggering violence that stemmed from Calderon’s security policies. During his tenure, the number of casualties oscillated between 60,000 and 90,000 due to a crossfire between Mexican authorities and drug cartels, according to website Aristegui Noticias, citing numbers from human rights watchdogs.

Details of García Luna’s acceptance of bribes during that time were revealed amid the trial of Joaquin “El Chapo” Guzman in 2018.

Jesús “El Rey” Zambada, who is considered a subleader of the Sinaloa cartel, told a Brooklyn court in November 2018 that the Sinaloa cartel and the Beltrán Leyva group had pulled together $50 million in bribe money to García Luna so that they could continue their drug trafficking operations without interference from government officials, according to reports. Meanwhile, other media reports during that time said it was unclear how much of this money was earmarked for García Luna.

The questionable work of García Luna as a top security official had prompted the Enrique Peña Nieto administration to eliminate the secretary of public security, while a decree stated that all the duties and responsibilities from that department be incorporated into the Interior Minister, according to Spanish newspaper El País.

García Luna faces at least 20 years and as much as life in prison at his sentencing on October 9.

Total
0
Shares
Leave a Reply
Related Posts
Dem Rep. Casten: Dems Who Voted to Rebuke Harris on Border Were Trying to Save Their Seats, Didn’t Really Mean It
Read More

Dem Rep. Casten: Dems Who Voted to Rebuke Harris on Border Were Trying to Save Their Seats, Didn’t Really Mean It

On Thursday’s broadcast of Bloomberg’s “Balance of Power,” Rep. Sean Casten (D-IL) stated that the Democrats who voted to condemn 2024 Democratic presidential candidate Vice President Kamala Harris over her handling of the border were thinking, “this helps me hold my seat and it doesn’t really matter” because it’s not binding and won’t be taken
Kamala Harris’ Favorability Spikes Since Biden Dropped Out—And Trump’s Falls, New Poll Finds
Read More

Kamala Harris’ Favorability Spikes Since Biden Dropped Out—And Trump’s Falls, New Poll Finds

Forbes Business Breaking Kamala Harris’ Favorability Spikes Since Biden Dropped Out—And Trump’s Falls, New Poll Finds Mary Whitfill Roeloffs Forbes Staff Mary Roeloffs is a Forbes breaking news reporter covering pop culture. Following Jul 28, 2024, 11:48am EDT Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Share to Linkedin Topline Kamala Harris’ favorability among American voters rose
Top Royals pick Caglianone crushes first pro homer … off a position player?Top Royals pick Caglianone crushes first pro homer … off a position player?
Read More

Top Royals pick Caglianone crushes first pro homer … off a position player?Top Royals pick Caglianone crushes first pro homer … off a position player?

Top Royals pick Caglianone crushes first pro homer ... off a position player? 3:35 AM UTC Ben Weinrib @benweinrib Share share-square-499420 After setting the single-season (35) and career (75) home run records at Florida this year, it was a matter of time before Jac Caglianone brought his light-tower power to the Minors. He just didn't
Trump Escalates Race Attacks on Harris, Worrying Some Republicans
Read More

Trump Escalates Race Attacks on Harris, Worrying Some Republicans

Donald J. Trump continued to raise false and incendiary questions about Vice President Kamala Harris’s racial identity for a second day on Thursday, as Republicans watched the former president drive his campaign into a divisive and potentially damaging direction. A day after telling an audience of Black journalists in Chicago that Ms. Harris had “all