Former Kansas police chief formally charged over Marion newspaper raid

A former Kansas police chief linked to the Aug. 11, 2023, raid of a local newspaper was formally charged with one count of interference with the judicial process. Gideon Cody, who resigned from the Marion Police Department less than two months after the raid, is accused of inducing a witness to withhold information in a
Former Kansas police chief formally charged over Marion newspaper raid

A former Kansas police chief linked to the Aug. 11, 2023, raid of a local newspaper was formally charged with one count of interference with the judicial process.

Gideon Cody, who resigned from the Marion Police Department less than two months after the raid, is accused of inducing a witness to withhold information in a felony case, according to a complaint filed Monday.

The charge comes a year after the offices of the Marion County Record were searched in a raid that also targeted the homes of its publisher and co-owner Eric Meyer and City Council member Ruth Herbel.

Meyer’s 98-year-old mother Joan Meyer, also a co-owner of the newspaper, lived with him and was home at the time of the raid. She collapsed and died the day after the raid, and Meyer blamed her death on the stress of the raid.

Joan Meyer, co-owner of the Marion County Record, swears at police officers in her home on Aug. 11, 2023.
Joan Meyer, co-owner of the Marion County Record, swears at police officers in her home on Aug. 11, 2023.Marion County Record

Cody used his five-member force and help from Marion County sheriff’s deputies to launch warrant-based searches based on his belief that one of the Record’s reporters committed identity theft by accessing the driver records of a restaurant owner, according to court documents previously released by the paper’s attorney.

The paper said that the raid was unjustified and that its reporter, Phyllis Zorn, found restaurant owner Kari Newell’s driver’s record by routinely using the state Revenue Department’s online search engine.

The newspaper began looking into Newell’s driver’s history after it received a tip that she was convicted of a DUI in 2008. The paper said it wanted to know whether the conviction would prevent her from having a liquor license.

Herbel had received the same tip about Newell’s DUI.

Marion County Attorney Joel Ensey, however, withdrew the search warrants after determining that “insufficient evidence exists to establish a legally sufficient nexus between this alleged crime and the places searched and the items seized.” He told law enforcement to immediately return any seized items.

Eric Meyer had said that computers, his cellphone, and the home’s internet router were taken during the raid. Herbel said her computer and phone were taken.

Two special prosecutors in the case had announced their plans last week to charge Cody. Sedgwick County District Attorney Marc Bennett and Riley County Attorney Barry Wilkerson said in a 124-page report that the newspaper’s staff had committed no crimes.

Since the raid, several lawsuits have been filed against Cody, the city, its former mayor and other government officials.

Cody could not be reached at phone numbers listed for him on Tuesday.

,

Total
0
Shares
Leave a Reply
Related Posts
Suella Braverman fears she might be forced to quit the Tories like ’30p’ Lee Anderson as she heaps praise on Reform UK after abandoning leadership bid – and predicts Nigel Farage’s party will ‘do better’
Read More

Suella Braverman fears she might be forced to quit the Tories like ’30p’ Lee Anderson as she heaps praise on Reform UK after abandoning leadership bid – and predicts Nigel Farage’s party will ‘do better’

Suella Braverman has suggested she might be 'driven out' the Tories like '30p' Lee Anderson as she heaped praise on Reform UK. The ex-home secretary, who has scrapped her bid to be Conservative leader, claimed Nigel Farage's party would do 'better' at the next general election. She warned the performance of Reform at last month's
Messi out for defending champ Miami as Leagues Cup begins
Read More

Messi out for defending champ Miami as Leagues Cup begins

Lionel Messi will not play for Inter Miami as the defending Leagues Cup champions begin their repeat bid on Saturday at home against Puebla, Miami coach Gerardo Martino said Friday. The 37-year-old Argentine striker suffered a right ankle injury in his nation’s victory over Colombia in the Copa America final this month. Messi missed two
Behind Bellozo, ‘pen & key DP, Marlins close trip on high noteBehind Bellozo, ‘pen & key DP, Marlins close trip on high note
Read More

Behind Bellozo, ‘pen & key DP, Marlins close trip on high noteBehind Bellozo, ‘pen & key DP, Marlins close trip on high note

Behind Bellozo, 'pen & key DP, Marlins close trip on high note August 18th, 2024 Matthew Ritchie @mkrwrt Share share-square-193494 NEW YORK -- After two days of volatile, truncated starts from the Marlins’ rotation and quiet showcases from the offense, the club found itself in need of a momentum-shifting event to avoid getting swept by