Gaza Ceasefire Deal Imminent: US Official

A U.S. official said on Friday that mediators are preparing to implement a Gaza ceasefire and hostage-swap deal that would end fighting in the region. For two days, mediators from Qatar, Egypt and America conducted talks in Qatar’s capital city of Doha in an effort to put an end to the 10-month Israel-Hamas war. Earlier
Gaza Ceasefire Deal Imminent: US Official

A U.S. official said on Friday that mediators are preparing to implement a Gaza ceasefire and hostage-swap deal that would end fighting in the region.

For two days, mediators from Qatar, Egypt and America conducted talks in Qatar’s capital city of Doha in an effort to put an end to the 10-month Israel-Hamas war.

Earlier on Friday, the Associated Press (AP) reported that meditators expressed hope for an imminent deal. A U.S. official then told reporters that a proposal designed to bridge every gap between Israel and Hamas is set to be implemented before a final agreement is reached.

On October 7, Hamas, a Palestinian militant group, launched a surprise attack on Israel, killing roughly 1,200 people and taking some 250 hostages. Israel subsequently launched a military operation in Gaza that has killed over 40,000 Palestinians, according to local health officials. There are about 110 hostages remaining in Gaza and about a third of them are believed to be dead.

A boy walks past mounds of trash and rubble along a street in the Jabalia camp for Palestinian refugees in the northern Gaza Strip on August 14. A U.S. official said on Friday that mediators… Omar Al-Qattaa/AFP via Getty Images

President Joe Biden said in a statement on Friday that he directed his negotiating team in Doha “to put forward the comprehensive bridging proposal presented today, which offers the basis for coming to a final agreement on a ceasefire and hostage release deal.”

He continued: “I spoke separately with Amir Sheikh Tamim [Bin Hamad Al-Thani] and President [Abdel Fattah el-] Sisi to review the significant progress made in Doha over the past two days of talks, and they expressed the strong support of Qatar and Egypt for the U.S. proposal as co-mediators in this process.”

“Our teams will remain on the ground to continue technical work over the coming days, and senior officials will convene again in Cairo before the end of the week,” Biden said, adding that U.S. officials will report to him regularly.

Biden ended his statement with a warning: “No one in the region should take actions to undermine this process.”

When contacted by Newsweek on Friday afternoon, the U.S. Department of State referred to a joint statement from the U.S., Egypt and Qatar that was published by the White House earlier Friday, which stated, in part, “These [cease-fire] talks were serious and constructive and were conducted in a positive atmosphere.”

In late May, Biden proposed a three-phase ceasefire plan, starting with a “full and complete ceasefire,” a withdrawal of Israeli soldiers from densely populated areas in Gaza and an Israeli hostage-Palestinian prisoner exchange, which would free hundreds of Palestinian prisoners.

The first phase in Biden’s plan would include releasing a number of these hostages, including women, the elderly and the wounded. In the second phase, the rest of the living hostages would be released and the ceasefire would become permanent. Lastly, the third phase would start the major reconstruction of Gaza.

It is unclear how closely the ceasefire and hostage-swap deal that mediators are reportedly preparing to implement resembles Biden’s proposal. However, the White House said in a statement on Friday that the latest proposal is “consistent with the principles” of Biden’s deal and a resolution from the United Nations Security Council, which also proposed a three-phase plan to end the war.

Hamas said that the latest proposal diverged significantly from the previous deal to which it agreed in principle, AP reported.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu‘s office said in a statement that it “appreciates the efforts of the U.S. and the mediators to dissuade Hamas from its refusal to a hostage release deal.”

Secretary of State Antony Blinken is set to travel to Israel on Saturday “to continue intensive diplomatic efforts to conclude the agreement for a ceasefire and release of hostages and detainees through the bridging proposal presented today by the United States, with support from Egypt and Qatar,” Vedant Patel, deputy spokesperson for the State Department, said in a statement on Friday.

Patel continued: “This proposal would achieve a ceasefire in Gaza, secure the release of all hostages, ensure humanitarian assistance is distributed throughout Gaza, and create the conditions for broader regional stability.”

Update 08/16/24, 5:21 p.m. ET: This article has been updated with additional information.

Total
0
Shares
Leave a Reply
Related Posts
Infuriating moment entitled woman lashes out at cops for taking her phone as she’s finally caught after leading officers on dramatic 110mph chase
Read More

Infuriating moment entitled woman lashes out at cops for taking her phone as she’s finally caught after leading officers on dramatic 110mph chase

An entitled driver who led police on an 110mph chase through Ohio complained about losing her phone when she was arrested. Esther Paragulla, 33, was seen in infuriating bodycam footage being apprehended on a highway shoulder after the dramatic 30-mile pursuit ended when patrol cars surrounded her vehicle.  As state troopers pulled her from the vehicle
Astonishing new images reveal moment armed cops surrounding building where Thomas Crooks opened fire at Trump more than TWO minutes before he unleashed volley of eight shots and hit him in the head
Read More

Astonishing new images reveal moment armed cops surrounding building where Thomas Crooks opened fire at Trump more than TWO minutes before he unleashed volley of eight shots and hit him in the head

Armed cops surrounded the building where a gunman opened fire at Donald Trump more than two minutes before the shooter attempted to assassinate the former president, shocking new footage has revealed. Thomas Crooks, 20, fired eight shots in Trump's direction from an AR-style rifle after scaling the roof of a building of some 135 meters from where