Huw Edwards charged with making indecent images of children

Huw Edwards charged with making indecent images of children BBC Former BBC News presenter Huw Edwards has been charged with three counts of making indecent images of children. The offences are alleged to have taken place between 2020 and 2022 and relate to 37 images that were shared on a WhatsApp chat, according to the
Huw Edwards charged with making indecent images of children

Huw Edwards charged with making indecent images of children

BBC Huw EdwardsBBC

Former BBC News presenter Huw Edwards has been charged with three counts of making indecent images of children.

The offences are alleged to have taken place between 2020 and 2022 and relate to 37 images that were shared on a WhatsApp chat, according to the Metropolitan Police.

The broadcaster was arrested last November and charged last month, the force revealed on Monday.

He is due to appear in court in London on Wednesday.

A Metropolitan Police spokesperson said: “Huw Edwards, 62, of Southwark, London has been charged with three counts of making indecent images of children following a Met Police investigation.

“The offences, which are alleged to have taken place between December 2020 and April 2022, relate to images shared on a WhatsApp chat.

“Edwards was arrested on 8 November 2023. He was charged on Wednesday, 26 June following authorisation from the Crown Prosecution Service.

“He has been bailed to appear at Westminster Magistrates’ Court on Wednesday, 31 July.

“Media and the public are strongly reminded that this is an active case. Nothing should be published, including on social media, which could prejudice future court proceedings.”

Mr Edwards is accused of having six category A images, the most serious classification of indecent images, on a phone. He is also accused of having 12 category B pictures and 19 category C photographs.

A conviction at Crown Court could lead to a prison sentence of several years.

According to the CPS website, “making indecent images can have a wide definition in the law and can include opening an email attachment containing such an image, downloading one from a website, or receiving one via social media, even if unsolicited and even if part of a group.”

Mr Edwards left the BBC in April.

He was previously the corporation’s most high-profile and best-paid news anchor, one of the main presenters on BBC One’s Ten O’Clock News, and was often chosen to front coverage of major national events.

Total
0
Shares
Leave a Reply
Related Posts
Olympics washout: Games battles downpours as Novak Djokovic and Carlos Alcaraz have matches delayed and skateboarding is postoned after angry Christians slammed Paris opening ceremony’s ‘gross mockery’ of the Last Supper
Read More

Olympics washout: Games battles downpours as Novak Djokovic and Carlos Alcaraz have matches delayed and skateboarding is postoned after angry Christians slammed Paris opening ceremony’s ‘gross mockery’ of the Last Supper

The Paris Olympic weather nightmare continued today as the games were hit by a new rain bomb on the first day of medal events as a Catholic Bishop slammed the opening ceremony for making a 'gross mockery' of Christianity. Top tennis stars including Novak Djokovic and Carlos Alcaraz had their games held up as many
Trump Blasts FBI Director Christopher Wray over ‘Shrapnel’ Remark: It Was a ‘Bullet Wound to the Ear’
Read More

Trump Blasts FBI Director Christopher Wray over ‘Shrapnel’ Remark: It Was a ‘Bullet Wound to the Ear’

Former President Donald Trump blasted FBI Director Christopher Wray after he told lawmakers this week there was “some question” on whether Trump was hit with “a bullet or shrapnel” on July 13, setting the record straight. The establishment media went wild after Wray told lawmakers, “With respect to former President Trump, there’s some question about
Chang, Chen bag Olympic diving gold for China
Read More

Chang, Chen bag Olympic diving gold for China

All-conquering Chinese divers Chang Yani and Chen Yiwen bagged the first Olympic gold of their careers on Saturday with a superb victory in the women’s synchronised three-meter springboard final. Chang and Chen have been unbeatable in global diving events in recent years, winning gold at three straight world championships in 2022, 2023 and 2024. They