Israel Prepares for Expected Attacks by Iran and Hezbollah

Israel is girding for widely anticipated retaliatory attacks by Iran and Hezbollah, telling its people this week to stock up on food and water in fortified safe rooms, while hospitals prepare to move patients to underground wards and search-and-rescue teams position themselves in major cities. The Israeli government’s security cabinet convened on Thursday night as
Israel Prepares for Expected Attacks by Iran and Hezbollah

Israel is girding for widely anticipated retaliatory attacks by Iran and Hezbollah, telling its people this week to stock up on food and water in fortified safe rooms, while hospitals prepare to move patients to underground wards and search-and-rescue teams position themselves in major cities.

The Israeli government’s security cabinet convened on Thursday night as speculation continued over how the country’s enemies might respond to the killing of a Hezbollah leader in Lebanon, and of Hamas’s top official while he was visiting Iran. Diplomats across the Middle East and elsewhere have tried to tamp down the tensions amid fears that the Israel-Hamas war raging in the Gaza Strip could broaden into a much bigger conflict across the region.

Intelligence has been sparse and changes frequently. But two Israeli officials and a senior Western intelligence official said that based on the latest information, Hezbollah, the Lebanese armed group closely allied with Iran, will likely strike first in a separate attack before Iran conducts its own retaliation. They spoke on the condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to speak publicly, and did not provide further details about the potential attacks.

The latest crisis follows the assassinations last week of Fuad Shukr, a top Hezbollah military commander, and Ismail Haniyeh, Hamas’s political leader. Israel has said it killed Mr. Shukr in retaliation for a rocket attack from Lebanon that killed 12 children and teenagers, while refusing to comment on the blast that killed Mr. Haniyeh in Tehran, which has been widely attributed to Israel.

,

Iran has vowed revenge for the killing of Mr. Haniyeh on its soil, calling it an egregious violation of Iranian sovereignty. Hassan Nasrallah, Hezbollah’s leader, said in an address this week that the group’s response to the killing of Mr. Shukr would be severe.

“Let the enemy, and those who stand behind them, await our inevitable response,” said Mr. Nasrallah. “We are looking for a true response, not a superficial one,” he added.

Total
0
Shares
Leave a Reply
Related Posts
Thousands in California to See Health Insurance Costs Rise
Read More

Thousands in California to See Health Insurance Costs Rise

Thousands of Californians will see their health insurance premiums climb by 8 percent in 2025, Covered California announced this week. While still posing a significant financial hurdle to many Californians, that's still lower than the 10 percent uptick residents saw this year, the largest increase since 2018. Covered California Executive Director Jessica Altman told Cal
Almost 100 illegal migrants take the Government to court claiming they were ‘ill-treated’ at Kent’s infamous Manston processing centre plagued by violence and disease
Read More

Almost 100 illegal migrants take the Government to court claiming they were ‘ill-treated’ at Kent’s infamous Manston processing centre plagued by violence and disease

A group of 96 migrants are suing the Government over claims they were 'ill-treated' by staff at Kent's infamous Manston processing centre.  Lawyers acting for the asylum seekers say they were 'unlawfully detained' at the facility for varying periods between September and November 2022. The individuals faced 'egregious conditions', including 'instances of humiliation', that affected
Harris campaign raises hulking $310 mn in July
Read More

Harris campaign raises hulking $310 mn in July

The Kamala Harris campaign said Friday it raised $310 million in July — more than double her US presidential rival Donald Trump — with the vast bulk of new cash pouring in after she replaced Joe Biden as the Democratic Party nominee. Harris’s campaign appears to have energized large and small donors alike — a
Trusted Adelaide accountant Jason Richard Poser fleeced $2million from his clients to feed 100-bets-a-day gambling addiction
Read More

Trusted Adelaide accountant Jason Richard Poser fleeced $2million from his clients to feed 100-bets-a-day gambling addiction

An accountant stole over $2million by forging tax bills to feed his 'all-consuming' gambling habit that saw him placing up to 100 bets with a racing and sports app every day.   Jason Richard Poser, 35, faced Adelaide's District Court on Friday for a sentencing hearing over stealing the money from 85 separate superannuation funds between