Judge Rules That Robert F. Kennedy Jr. Cannot Appear on New York Ballot

Robert F. Kennedy Jr.’s independent presidential campaign was dealt a blow on Monday when a judge ruled that his petition to get on New York’s ballot was invalid, saying Mr. Kennedy had used a “sham” address to maintain his New York residency. The ruling, if it stands, would kick Mr. Kennedy off the ballot in
Judge Rules That Robert F. Kennedy Jr. Cannot Appear on New York Ballot

Robert F. Kennedy Jr.’s independent presidential campaign was dealt a blow on Monday when a judge ruled that his petition to get on New York’s ballot was invalid, saying Mr. Kennedy had used a “sham” address to maintain his New York residency.

The ruling, if it stands, would kick Mr. Kennedy off the ballot in a state where he lived for much of his adult life, and could endanger his efforts to get on the ballot in all 50 states. He has three days to appeal the decision by a judge in Albany, N.Y.

His lawyer, William F. Savino, said in an email that Mr. Kennedy “always planned to appeal any adverse ruling.”

A group of New York residents — backed by Clear Choice, a Democrat-aligned political action committee — had challenged Mr. Kennedy’s New York residency, arguing that his campaign had used a false address on the tens of thousands of nominating petitions it circulated and submitted to get him on the ballot.

,

Representatives for the Kennedy campaign did not immediately respond to a request for comment. On Saturday, the campaign sent an email describing the case as “a shameless bid to eliminate a strong contender from the race.”

Clear Choice said the ruling “makes clear that Mr. Kennedy lied about his residency and provided a false address on his filing papers and candidate petitions in New York, intentionally misleading election officials and betraying voters’ trust.”

The decision, by Justice Christina L. Ryba, a state Supreme Court judge, could lead to other challenges in states where Mr. Kennedy is on the ballot, because his campaign used the same address to gather signatures there.

Total
0
Shares
Leave a Reply
Related Posts
Iran-Israel Attack Fears Rise: Biden And Western Leaders Demand Iran ‘Stand Down’ Threats
Read More

Iran-Israel Attack Fears Rise: Biden And Western Leaders Demand Iran ‘Stand Down’ Threats

Forbes Business Breaking Iran-Israel Attack Fears Rise: Biden And Western Leaders Demand Iran ‘Stand Down’ Threats Brian Bushard Forbes Staff Brian is a Boston-based Forbes breaking news reporter. Following Aug 12, 2024, 04:28pm EDT Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Share to Linkedin Topline President Joe Biden called on Iran to “stand down its ongoing
Popular fashion retailer is at ‘risk of shutting all its stores for good’ amid claims staff have been given ‘three weeks’ notice that they’ll be losing their jobs’ at troubled chain
Read More

Popular fashion retailer is at ‘risk of shutting all its stores for good’ amid claims staff have been given ‘three weeks’ notice that they’ll be losing their jobs’ at troubled chain

Ted Baker is reportedly planning to shut all its shops within the next three weeks, sparking fears the retail chain could vanish from highstreets forever.  Earlier this year the company, which is behind the fashion brand's UK shops, No Ordinary Designer Label Limited (NODL), hired administrators from Teneo.  They have now given staff three weeks notice that
Travellers park up their convoy of caravans and motorhomes at illegal encampment on Hove seafront after being moved on twice in last week
Read More

Travellers park up their convoy of caravans and motorhomes at illegal encampment on Hove seafront after being moved on twice in last week

Police are monitoring an 'unauthorised encampment' of over a dozen traveller caravans and motorhomes on the seafront in Hove, on the south coast. Photographs show the vehicles on Hove Lawns in East Sussex this morning just over a year since around 18 parked in the same place, an increase from around 10 in 2022. Another camp