Major air and sea search for missing diver called off – days after tributes were paid to young woman, 20, who also disappeared off the South Coast

A major air and sea search for a missing diver was called off after emergency services failed to find the stricken victim.  A diver who had been in the water off Hastings, East Sussex, failed to re-surface on Saturday. An air and sea search was called off after searching for the missing person for 24
Major air and sea search for missing diver called off – days after tributes were paid to young woman, 20, who also disappeared off the South Coast

A major air and sea search for a missing diver was called off after emergency services failed to find the stricken victim. 

A diver who had been in the water off Hastings, East Sussex, failed to re-surface on Saturday.

An air and sea search was called off after searching for the missing person for 24 hours.

The alarm was raised at lunchtime on Saturday and searches by lifeguard and coastguard crews continued until 11pm.

On Sunday, the Maritime and Coastguard Agency confirmed the search was ended at 11pm on Saturday night.

An air and sea search for a missing diver near Hastings, east Sussex has been called off after 24 hours

An air and sea search for a missing diver near Hastings, east Sussex has been called off after 24 hours

Both the Maritime and Coastguard Agency and RNLI confirmed all assets had been stood down on Saturday night after finding no trace of the diver

Both the Maritime and Coastguard Agency and RNLI confirmed all assets had been stood down on Saturday night after finding no trace of the diver

The RNLI lifeboat charity also said all assets had been stood down.

Lifeboats from Hastings, Eastbourne and Dungeness had joined the search along with a coastguard helicopter and fixed wing aircraft, and other vessels in the area.

No details of the Sussex diver have been released by police.

The missing diver is the second to disappear off the south coast in just days.

Last week, ‘high spirited’ Emily Sherwin, who went missing while diving off Old Harry Rocks near Swanage in Dorset.

It comes days after a huge search launched for diver Emily Sherwin found no trace of her

It comes days after a huge search launched for diver Emily Sherwin found no trace of her

Emily went missing while diving near Old Harry Rocks near Swanage, Dorset (file photo)

Emily went missing while diving near Old Harry Rocks near Swanage, Dorset (file photo)

Despite a massive search involving coastguards, helicopters, over 30 lifeboats and police, no trace has been found of her.

A statement from her family said: ‘We are heartbroken at the loss of Emily, but eternally grateful for the 20 wonderful years we had with her, and finding comfort in the fact that she was doing something she loved.

‘Emily was unique, high spirited, outgoing, loving and loyal. She lit up every room. Emily adored the sea and loved sailing and diving. 

‘She was looking forward to an exciting career in marine conservation.’

Sussex Police and the Maritime and Coastguard Agency have been approached for comment.

Total
0
Shares
Leave a Reply
Related Posts
Full circle: Torkelson reunites with Little League coach in WilliamsportFull circle: Torkelson reunites with Little League coach in Williamsport
Read More

Full circle: Torkelson reunites with Little League coach in WilliamsportFull circle: Torkelson reunites with Little League coach in Williamsport

Full circle: Torkelson reunites with Little League coach in Williamsport August 18th, 2024 Melanie Martinez-Lopez Share share-square-786715 WILLIAMSPORT, Pa. -- Tigers first baseman Spencer Torkelson and his former Little League coach Rick Duarte sat side by side in an empty row in Volunteer Stadium. The pair took the opportunity to catch up and talk about
Walz accepts invite for VP debate on Oct. 1
Read More

Walz accepts invite for VP debate on Oct. 1

Minnesota Gov. Tim Walz on Wednesday accepted an invitation from CBS News for a vice presidential debate against Sen. JD Vance of Ohio on Oct. 1. Walz responded to the network's proposal in a post on X for the two candidates to face off onstage weeks before Election Day. “See you on October 1, JD,”