Manhattan DA urges judge not to overturn Trump conviction

A Supreme Court decision on Donald Trump’s immunity for “ official acts ” while he was president has no bearing on his conviction on charges of falsifying business records in New York, state prosecutors argued in a filing made public Thursday. In a filing arguing against Trump’s bid to dismiss the indictment and guilty verdict
Manhattan DA urges judge not to overturn Trump conviction

A Supreme Court decision on Donald Trump’s immunity for official acts while he was president has no bearing on his conviction on charges of falsifying business records in New York, state prosecutors argued in a filing made public Thursday.

In a filing arguing against Trump’s bid to dismiss the indictment and guilty verdict on 34 felony counts, prosecutors from Manhattan District Attorney Alvin Bragg’s office said the Supreme Court’s ruling in the federal election interference case against Trump “has nothing to say about defendant’s conviction” in its case.

“At issue in the Supreme Court’s decision was whether defendant could be federally prosecuted ‘for conduct alleged to involve official acts during his tenure in office.’ The criminal charges here, by contrast, exclusively stem from defendant’s ‘unofficial acts’ — conduct for which ‘there is no immunity,’” the DA’s filing said.

Further, “the evidence that he claims is affected by the Supreme Court’s ruling constitutes only a sliver of the mountains of testimony and documentary proof that the jury considered in finding him guilty of all 34 felony charges beyond a reasonable doubt,” the DA argued.

Attorneys for the former president argued earlier this month that the high court’s decision, issued July 1, had implications for his conviction in the weekslong hush money trial, citing several examples of what t hey described as “impermissible official-acts evidence” introduced at trial that under the Supreme Court’s new ruling cannot be introduced because they touched on “core” presidential duties.

They contended testimony about his private conversations with former White House Communications Director Hope Hicks, discussions around his pardon power, as well as the use of his presidential posts on Twitter were all wrongly admitted, and as a result, Trump should be entitled to a new trial — or more.

“In order to vindicate the Presidential immunity doctrine, and protect the interests implicated by its underpinnings, the jury’s verdicts must be vacated and the Indictment dismissed,” the filing said.

Trump attorney Todd Blanche declined comment on the DA’s new filing, but he submitted a letter to Judge Juan Merchan asking for permission to respond to the DA’s “legal and factual misrepresentations.”

Merchan is expected to rule on the issue by Sept. 6.

Trump was initially scheduled to be sentenced in the case on July 11, but the judge delayed the sentencing until at least Sept. 18 in order to consider Trump’s arguments.

Trump was convicted on all counts against him in May, the first time a former president has ever been convicted of criminal charges. If the sentencing goes forward, he faces penalties ranging from a fine to four years in prison per count.

Prosecutors alleged Trump falsified business records related to a hush money payment his former lawyer Michael Cohen made to adult film star Stormy Daniels in the final weeks of the 2016 presidential election. Trump has denied any wrongdoing.

,

Total
0
Shares
Leave a Reply
Related Posts
Manchester Arena bombing survivors suing ex-TV producer say they should not have to deal with ‘hurtful’ claims terror attack which left them with life-changing injuries was a ‘lie’
Read More

Manchester Arena bombing survivors suing ex-TV producer say they should not have to deal with ‘hurtful’ claims terror attack which left them with life-changing injuries was a ‘lie’

Survivors of the Manchester Arena bombing should not have to deal with 'hurtful' claims that the attack was a hoax, said one victim left with life-changing injuries, whose teenage daughter also suffered  severe brain damage in the blast, as he waits for a decision in a High Court harassment case. Martin Hibbert and his daughter Eve
There’s a pitcher, a batter … even a river sometimes. Welcome to Finnish baseballThere’s a pitcher, a batter … even a river sometimes. Welcome to Finnish baseball
Read More

There’s a pitcher, a batter … even a river sometimes. Welcome to Finnish baseballThere’s a pitcher, a batter … even a river sometimes. Welcome to Finnish baseball

There's a pitcher, a batter ... even a river sometimes. Welcome to Finnish baseball 2:01 AM UTC Michael Clair @michaelsclair Share share-square-463862 Design by Dan Phillips. Photos by Gabriel Laar and courtesy Puna-Mustat. If you've spent any time on social media recently, letting your eyes glaze over as the algorithm spoonfeeds content directly to your
San Francisco’s dramatic U-turn over homeless problem is laid bare in new video – and liberal residents are furious
Read More

San Francisco’s dramatic U-turn over homeless problem is laid bare in new video – and liberal residents are furious

Mayor London Breed's election year crackdown on San Francisco's street sleepers has appalled some of her keenest supporters after video showed the reality on the ground. The Democrat mayor promised a 'very aggressive' clear-up operation after the Supreme Court ruled earlier this month that removing a sleeping equipment from a public space was not unconstitutional.
UK drops plan to challenge ICC arrest warrant request for Netanyahu
Read More

UK drops plan to challenge ICC arrest warrant request for Netanyahu

CNN  —  The British government has dropped plans to oppose the International Criminal Court’s application for an arrest warrant against Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu over alleged war crimes in Gaza, according to UK news agency PA Media.. “This was a proposal by the previous government which was not submitted before the election, and which