Moment BBC News presenters report their former colleague Huw Edwards has been charged with possession of indecent images

BBC News presenters today reported on how their former colleague Huw Edwards has been charged with the possession of indecent images of children. Interrupting coverage of Chancellor Rachel Reeves’ statement in the House of Commons, the BBC announced the breaking news. Entertainment correspondent Lizo Mzimba said:  “The former BBC presenter Huw Edwards has been charged
Moment BBC News presenters report their former colleague Huw Edwards has been charged with possession of indecent images

BBC News presenters today reported on how their former colleague Huw Edwards has been charged with the possession of indecent images of children.

Interrupting coverage of Chancellor Rachel Reeves‘ statement in the House of Commons, the BBC announced the breaking news.

Entertainment correspondent Lizo Mzimba said:  “The former BBC presenter Huw Edwards has been charged with three offences of making indecent images of children.

“That’s according to statements from the Metropolitan Police and from the Crown Prosecution Service.

“The Metropolitan Police said that the CPS authorised the charges after a Metropolitan Police investigation. 

Entertainment correspondent Lizo Mzimba announced the breaking news that Huw Edwards has been charged with possessing indecent images of children

Entertainment correspondent Lizo Mzimba announced the breaking news that Huw Edwards has been charged with possessing indecent images of children

“They said Mr Edwards will appear at Westminster Magistrates Court this Wednesdays, July 31, 2024.

“A little more detail from the Crown Prosecution Service: they say the offences are alleged to have taken place between December 2020 and April 2022 and relate to images shared on a WhatsApp chat.

“They say Huw Edwards was arrested on November 8, 2023, he was charged on Wednesday, June 26 following authorisation from the Crown Prosecution Service.

“Huw Edwards, the former BBC presenter, of course for a long time one of the most prominent faces on the BBC, presenting generally election coverage, big royal occasions, big state occasions, for many people one of the best known and most important faces of the cooperation and also one of its highest paid names.”

After the breaking news was reported, BBC News returned to coverage of the Chancellor of the Exchequer’s statement in Parliament. 

Edwards, 62, has been charged with child pornography offences after 37 indecent images were allegedly shared on a WhatsApp chat.

The former broadcaster, who resigned in April, has been bailed ahead of his appearance in court on Wednesday.

According to the charge sheet, he is accused of having six category A images, 12 category B pictures and 19 category C photographs on WhatsApp. 

The offences are contrary to sections 1(1)(a) and 6 of the Protection of Children Act 1978, and if found guilty, he could receive a maximum penalty of 10 years’ imprisonment.

BBC News cut away from coverage of Rachel Reeves' statement to inform viewers of the news

BBC News cut away from coverage of Rachel Reeves’ statement to inform viewers of the news

Huw Edwards, 62, has been charged with child pornography offences after 37 indecent images were allegedly shared on a WhatsApp chat

Huw Edwards, 62, has been charged with child pornography offences after 37 indecent images were allegedly shared on a WhatsApp chat

Category A involves images involving penetrative sexual activity, sexual activity with an animal or sadism; Category B covers images which show non-penetrative sexual activity; while Category C is for indecent images not within categories B or C.

The resignation from the BBC by married father-of-five Edwards in April followed allegations that he paid someone for sexually explicit pictures.

The Metropolitan Police and South Wales Police both said in July last year that no criminal offence had been committed by Edwards.

Edwards was absent from screens from when the story first broke in July 2023 until his exit in April 2024.

He remained on the payroll while suspended, which is normal BBC policy, and was suffering from serious mental health issues and received in-patient hospital care.

The BBC confirmed at the time of his departure that he had not received a pay-off and was leaving ‘on the basis of medical advice from his doctors’.

Last week the BBC confirmed Edwards was paid more than £475,000 in 2023/24 before he resigned and left.

Total
0
Shares
Leave a Reply
Related Posts
Wildfires ravaging western US spread to 11 states as previously safe areas face new warnings – and horrifying scale of dementia risk starts to emerge
Read More

Wildfires ravaging western US spread to 11 states as previously safe areas face new warnings – and horrifying scale of dementia risk starts to emerge

As millions across the West battle blazes amid dangerously high temperatures, a new study has found a connection between long-term wildfire smoke exposure and brain health. The Park Fire has grown into California's fifth largest wildfire, burning through 389,791 acres across Butte, Plumas, Shasta and Tehama counties with only 18 percent contained as of Wednesday morning
Peter Hitchens slams ‘dangerous’ discussion of Islam as ‘some kind of nameless threat’ amid riots in the wake of the Southport stabbings on the Mail’s podcast The Reaction
Read More

Peter Hitchens slams ‘dangerous’ discussion of Islam as ‘some kind of nameless threat’ amid riots in the wake of the Southport stabbings on the Mail’s podcast The Reaction

Peter Hitchens has slammed the 'dangerous' discussion of Islam as 'some kind of nameless threat' amid the violent riots that have exploded in the wake of the Southport stabbings. The columnist joined Andrew Pierce on the Mail's talk show, The Reaction, to discuss the storm that erupted over false claims that the 17-year-old boy accused
Crow-Armstrong running down stolen base history for CubsCrow-Armstrong running down stolen base history for Cubs
Read More

Crow-Armstrong running down stolen base history for CubsCrow-Armstrong running down stolen base history for Cubs

Crow-Armstrong running down stolen base history for Cubs 7:49 PM UTC Jordan Bastian @MLBastian Share share-square-804832 This story was excerpted from Jordan Bastian’s Cubs Beat newsletter. To read the full newsletter, click here. And subscribe to get it regularly in your inbox. CHICAGO – Twins second baseman Brooks Lee did not even attempt a tag