More than 40,000 Palestinians have been killed in 10 months of war in Gaza, health ministry says

CNN  —  More than 40,000 Palestinians have been killed in Gaza since Israel launched its war against Hamas, the health ministry in the enclave said Thursday, yet another dark milestone in the 10-month-old conflict. The ministry said 40 people had died in Gaza during the past 24 hours, taking the total number of deaths since October 7 to 40,005 – about one in every 55 people in the enclave. More than
More than 40,000 Palestinians have been killed in 10 months of war in Gaza, health ministry says


CNN
 — 

More than 40,000 Palestinians have been killed in Gaza since Israel launched its  war against Hamas, the health ministry in the enclave said Thursday, yet another dark milestone in the 10-month-old conflict.

The ministry said 40 people had died in Gaza during the past 24 hours, taking the total number of deaths since October 7 to 40,005 – about one in every 55 people in the enclave. More than 92,401 have been injured.

Palestinian authorities do not distinguish between combatants and civilians, but it is clear that most of the dead are civilians, including many women and children. Israel said last month that it had killed more than 14,000 combatants in Gaza since the start of the war. CNN cannot independently verify the ministry’s numbers.

The soaring figures give a window into the daily suffering, malnutrition and volatility in Gaza after 10 months of conflict.

And the milestone has been passed at a particularly unpredictable point in the conflict. A new round of ceasefire talks are due to begin Thursdayafter the killings of senior figures in Hamas and the Iranian-backed Lebanese militant group Hezbollah upended the leadership of both organizations and made the negotiations appear precarious.

The news follows an especially deadly weekend for Palestinians in the Gaza Strip. At least 93 people were killed overnight into Saturday when an  Israeli strike hit a school and mosque in the eastern part of Gaza City where displaced people were sheltering, according to local officials.

The Israel Defense Forces (IDF) confirmed to CNN that it hit the compound and said that “at least 19 Hamas and Islamic Jihad terrorists were eliminated” in the strike.

The strike was almost universally condemned, including by some of Israel’s closest allies.

Fading hopes for a ceasefire

Israel launched its war against Hamas after the militant group’s cross-border October 7 attacks, in which more than 1,200 Israelis were killed and 250 taken hostage, according to Israeli authorities. More than 100 of those hostages remain in Gaza, their families back home pleading for a breakthrough to secure their safe return.

Hopes of a hostage-for-ceasefire agreement seemed to diminish in recent weeks after Israel launched a series of strikes against senior figures in Hamas and in Hezbollah, which has been sparring with Israel on a near-daily basis since October, in solidarity with Hamas.

But Egyptian and Qatari mediators have conveyed to Israeli officials in recent days that Yahya Sinwar, the new head of its political bureau following the assassination of Ismail Haniyeh in Tehran, wants a ceasefire deal, an Israeli source familiar with the matter said.

Israel said it would send a delegation to the talks. Hamas, however, has said it will not participate in talks Thursday but is willing to speak to mediators afterwards if there are “developments or a serious response from Israel,” the source told CNN.

A hardliner and, according to Israel, one of the masterminds behind the deadly October 7 terror attacks,  Sinwar was previously believed to be dismissive of a ceasefire and hostage release deal.

Hamas said Sunday it has asked mediators to implement a ceasefire plan based on previous ceasefire talks such as those put forward by US President Joe Biden and the UN Security Council in July.

International pressure is intensifying for Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu to reach an agreement with Hamas.

A drumbeat of Western criticism of Netanyahu’s actions has grown louder in recent weeks, with the election of a Labour government in the United Kingdom and the confirmation of US Vice President Kamala Harris as the Democratic nominee for November’s presidential election. Harris’ comments on Gaza signal a shift in tone from Biden’s steady support of Israel.

Harris said Saturday that “far too many” civilians have been killed in Gaza, saying a deal “needs to get done now.”

And Netanyahu faces anger from some quarters at home. The Hostage and Missing Families Forum, a powerful voice in Israel, has for months repeatedly called on Israel and Hamas to finalize a hostage-and-ceasefire deal.

“A deal is the only path to bring all hostages home. Time is running out. The hostages have no more to spare. A deal must be signed now!” the forum said in a statement last week.

This story has been updated.

Total
0
Shares
Leave a Reply
Related Posts
Barack and Michelle Obama endorse Kamala Harris for president
Read More

Barack and Michelle Obama endorse Kamala Harris for president

CNN  —  Former President Barack Obama and former first lady Michelle Obama endorsed Vice President Kamala Harris’ presidential bid in a video released Friday. “Michelle and I couldn’t be prouder to endorse you and to do everything we can to get you through this election and into the Oval Office,” the former president told Harris
Huge scandal rocks Texas court as female judge stopped for DWI is accused of inappropriate behavior by female staffer
Read More

Huge scandal rocks Texas court as female judge stopped for DWI is accused of inappropriate behavior by female staffer

A prominent Texas judge who's been stripped of all of her cases has been accused of inappropriate behavior by a longtime staffer. Harris County District court reporter Gail A. Rolen made the claims in a judicial complaint against Judge Kelli Johnson - weeks after Johnson was charged with driving while intoxicated in June. Almost simultaneously, top
Trusted Adelaide accountant Jason Richard Poser fleeced $2million from his clients to feed 100-bets-a-day gambling addiction
Read More

Trusted Adelaide accountant Jason Richard Poser fleeced $2million from his clients to feed 100-bets-a-day gambling addiction

An accountant stole over $2million by forging tax bills to feed his 'all-consuming' gambling habit that saw him placing up to 100 bets with a racing and sports app every day.   Jason Richard Poser, 35, faced Adelaide's District Court on Friday for a sentencing hearing over stealing the money from 85 separate superannuation funds between