Sarah Boone Suffers Another Legal Blow in Bizarre Suitcase Murder Case

Sarah Boone, the Florida woman accused of killing her boyfriend by trapping him in a suitcase, will continue representing herself after a judge denied her request for a new lawyer on Monday. Boone, 46, is facing a second-degree murder charge for the death of her boyfriend Jorge Torres Jr. in 2020. She is accused of
Sarah Boone Suffers Another Legal Blow in Bizarre Suitcase Murder Case

Sarah Boone, the Florida woman accused of killing her boyfriend by trapping him in a suitcase, will continue representing herself after a judge denied her request for a new lawyer on Monday.

Boone, 46, is facing a second-degree murder charge for the death of her boyfriend Jorge Torres Jr. in 2020. She is accused of convincing him to get inside a suitcase, zipping it closed and refusing to let him out. When she opened the suitcase the next day, Torres was dead.

The two had been in a relationship for several years before the deadly incident at a home in Winter Park, Florida.

Orange County Circuit Judge Michael S. Kraynick, who is presiding over the case, ruled that Boone forfeited her right to legal counsel on June 28 after she went through eight lawyers. Several cited “irreconcilable differences” as their reason for resigning.

Boone appeared in court on Monday for a hearing on several handwritten motions she submitted from jail, including one for “standby counsel.”

Sarah Boone appeared in court on Monday for a hearing on several handwritten motions she submitted from jail. Boone is representing herself after going through eight lawyers ahead of her murder trial. Joe Burbank/Orlando Sentinel via AP and Orange County Clerk Court Records

In the motion, Boone alleged her “Constitutional right to counsel is being withheld, and forcibly removed.”

“I do not forfeit my right; that was your judgment,” Boone said to Kraynick in court. “And also, I feel that I should have had some kind of evidentiary hearing prior to your decision so I could have a better chance at explaining myself and your understanding…I don’t want to be pro se any longer. I didn’t want to be pro se in the first place.”

Kraynick said her request is “denied, period.”

In another motion, Boone requested money for experts ahead of her trial. Kraynick said a private investigator with Prison Break Investigations has been assigned to the case and funding for a mental health expert was approved.

He also told Boone she would have to be more specific in future requests. Boone’s motion said the name of the investigator and total cost were “TBD” and how to calculate the cost was “unknown by defendant.”

“I don’t know what I’m supposed to ask for or who I’m supposed to ask for, and again I have yet to receive my discovery, so I don’t even know what it is I need,” Boone said.

Boone previously complained about not receiving all of her discovery at a hearing on July 25. She said she was “thoroughly confused” at that hearing.

Her trial is expected to begin on October 7.

While proceedings have been pushed back for over four years, Kraynick said the trial will not be delayed “for any reason, except by extraordinarily good cause and such extraordinarily good cause shall not include retention of counsel by the defendant.”

Do you have a story Newsweek should be covering? Do you have any questions about this story? Contact LiveNews@newsweek.com

Total
0
Shares
Leave a Reply
Related Posts
How might Netanyahu’s visit to the US affect cease-fire efforts?
Read More

How might Netanyahu’s visit to the US affect cease-fire efforts?

Israel’s Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s controversial trip to the United States comes as ceasefire talks to broker an end to the raging war in Gaza and bring about a hostage-for-prisoners exchange hang in the balance How might Netanyahu’s visit to the US affect cease-fire efforts?By JULIA FRANKELAssociated PressThe Associated PressJERUSALEM JERUSALEM (AP) — Israeli Prime
With ‘sense of urgency,’ Mets break out behind Lindor & AlonsoWith ‘sense of urgency,’ Mets break out behind Lindor & Alonso
Read More

With ‘sense of urgency,’ Mets break out behind Lindor & AlonsoWith ‘sense of urgency,’ Mets break out behind Lindor & Alonso

With 'sense of urgency,' Mets break out behind Lindor & Alonso 4:29 AM UTC Bill Ladson @ladsonbill24 Share share-square-634548 NEW YORK -- Led by shortstop Francisco Lindor and first baseman Pete Alonso, the Mets put the brakes on their four-game skid with a 9-1 victory over the Athletics on Wednesday night at Citi Field. Lindor
How Angela Rayner tore up planning protections for the countryside by telling councils to build up to seven times more houses
Read More

How Angela Rayner tore up planning protections for the countryside by telling councils to build up to seven times more houses

Parts of England were warned they face a sevenfold increase in housebuilding last night after Angela Rayner tore up planning protections for the countryside. In her first major intervention in Government, the Deputy Prime Minister announced she was imposing 'mandatory' targets on local authorities in a bid to address the 'unforgivable' housing crisis. The moves
Everything To Know About The Listeria Outbreaks—As Boar’s Head Recall Expands
Read More

Everything To Know About The Listeria Outbreaks—As Boar’s Head Recall Expands

Forbes Business Breaking Everything To Know About The Listeria Outbreaks—As Boar’s Head Recall Expands Mary Whitfill Roeloffs Forbes Staff Mary Roeloffs is a Forbes breaking news reporter covering pop culture. Following Jul 31, 2024, 08:54am EDT Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Share to Linkedin Topline Two listeria outbreaks reported in the United States over