Search for people missing after Ethiopia mudslides continues as death toll rises to 257

Search teams were still digging at the site of deadly mudslides in southern Ethiopia on Friday, as the death toll rose to 257, according to the U.N. humanitarian office Search for people missing after Ethiopia mudslides continues as death toll rises to 257By AMANUEL GEBREMEDHIN BIRHANEAssociated PressThe Associated PressADDIS ABABA, Ethiopia ADDIS ABABA, Ethiopia (AP)
Search for people missing after Ethiopia mudslides continues as death toll rises to 257

Search teams were still digging at the site of deadly mudslides in southern Ethiopia on Friday, as the death toll rose to 257, according to the U.N. humanitarian office

Search for people missing after Ethiopia mudslides continues as death toll rises to 257By AMANUEL GEBREMEDHIN BIRHANEAssociated PressThe Associated PressADDIS ABABA, Ethiopia

ADDIS ABABA, Ethiopia (AP) — Search teams were still digging at the site of deadly mudslides in southern Ethiopia on Friday, as the death toll rose to 257, according to the U.N. humanitarian office.

Heavy rain triggered deadly slides on Sunday and Monday in a remote part of the country. The U.N. humanitarian office, known as OCHA, said in an update Thursday that the death toll could rise to as many as 500, citing local officials.

“More than 15,000 affected people need to be evacuated” from the area, it said.

Ethiopian Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed is expected to visit the remote area on Friday. Mudslides there have been triggered by heavy rainfall in recent days. Abiy said earlier in the week that he was “deeply saddened by this terrible loss.”

Photos from the scene show residents standing over the shrouded bodies of mudslide victims who are being pulled, one by one, from the muddy earth. Diggers have been using hand shovels to pick through the mud.

Many people were buried in the Gofa Zone of Kencho Shacha Gozdi district on Monday, as rescue workers searched the steep terrain for survivors from mudslides the previous day.

Landslides are common during Ethiopia’s rainy reason, which started in July and is expected to last until mid-September.

Deadly mudslides often occur in the wider East African region, from Uganda’s mountainous east to central Kenya’s highlands. In April, at least 45 people were killed in Kenya’s Rift Valley region when flash floods and a landslide swept through houses and cut off a major road.

Total
0
Shares
Leave a Reply
Related Posts
Bereaved families hope public inquiry into the Omagh bomb atrocity which killed 29 people, including a woman pregnant with twins, will provide answers
Read More

Bereaved families hope public inquiry into the Omagh bomb atrocity which killed 29 people, including a woman pregnant with twins, will provide answers

Families bereaved in the Omagh bombing have expressed hope that they will finally receive answers as the long called for public inquiry into the atrocity finally opened. The probe, led by chairman Lord Turnbull, is examining whether the 1998 bombing could reasonably have been prevented by UK authorities. The bombing was the biggest atrocity of
Monique Lezsak murder: Shock move by Melbourne bodybuilder Sven Lindemann who killed his partner in front of her daughter in their Endeavour Hills Home
Read More

Monique Lezsak murder: Shock move by Melbourne bodybuilder Sven Lindemann who killed his partner in front of her daughter in their Endeavour Hills Home

A bodybuilder who brutally murdered his partner in front of her young daughter has appealed to have his sentence reduced, sparking outrage from her friends and loved ones.  Sven Lindemann was recently jailed for 31 years, with a non-parole period of 25 over the frenzied six-knife stabbing of his partner Monique Lezsak, 39, after she
America’s Most Expensive Home Is a $39M Soho Townhouse Featured in a Beyoncé Video
Read More

America’s Most Expensive Home Is a $39M Soho Townhouse Featured in a Beyoncé Video

A five-story New York townhouse featured in Beyoncé‘s video for the song “Halo” is this week’s most expensive home on Realtor.com®. The luxurious, 13,000-square-foot structure is said to be owned by singer-songwriter Dyan Humes-Nispel and her ex-husband, director Marcus Nispel. The couple bought the three-bedroom residence in 1996 for $1.7 million and rented it out to