Tim Walz ‘misspoke’ when he discussed using weapons ‘in war,’ campaign says

Minnesota Gov. Tim Walz “misspoke” in a 2018 video circulated by the Harris campaign earlier this week that included the vice presidential candidate talking about his handling of weapons “in war,” a campaign spokesperson said Friday. The clarification comes after Republicans, led by veteran and vice presidential candidate JD Vance, have attacked Walz over his
Tim Walz ‘misspoke’ when he discussed using weapons ‘in war,’ campaign says

Minnesota Gov. Tim Walz “misspoke” in a 2018 video circulated by the Harris campaign earlier this week that included the vice presidential candidate talking about his handling of weapons “in war,” a campaign spokesperson said Friday.

The clarification comes after Republicans, led by veteran and vice presidential candidate JD Vance, have attacked Walz over his military record.

“Governor Walz would never insult or undermine any American’s service to this country — in fact, he thanks Senator Vance for putting his life on the line for our country. It’s the American way,” the Harris campaign spokesperson said in a statement.

“In making the case for why weapons of war should never be on our streets or in our classrooms, the Governor misspoke. He did handle weapons of war and believes strongly that only military members trained to carry those deadly weapons should have access to them, unlike Donald Trump and JD Vance who prioritize the gun lobby over our children,” the spokesperson added.

The video clip of Walz’s previous remarks shows him discussing gun control and referring to his own military background. “We can make sure that those weapons of war, that I carried in war, is the only place where those weapons are at,” Walz says in the clip posted by Harris’ campaign on Tuesday.

Walz’s 24 years in the military included serving overseas and supporting forward units, but he was not deployed to a combat zone.

Vance, a Marine Corps veteran, accused his political rival of “stolen valor” this week.

“What bothers me about Tim Walz is this stolen valor garbage. Do not pretend to be something that you’re not,” Vance said at an event in Michigan. “I’d be ashamed if I was him and I lied about my military service like he did.”

When reached for comment about Friday’s clarification from the Harris campaign, Trump campaign spokesperson Steven Cheung said in an email: “Why won’t Tim Walz address his lies himself? Why does he need to send out lowly spokespeople to clean up his own mess?”

The Minneapolis Star Tribune in 2022 reported details of Walz’s service that it attributed to the governor, saying, he “was deployed to Italy in 2003 to protect against potential threats in Europe while active military forces were deployed to Iraq and Afghanistan.”

Walz formally retired from the Minnesota National Guard in 2005, as he prepared to run for Congress. He won a House seat the following year.

,

Total
0
Shares
Leave a Reply
Related Posts
Unsurprisingly, Deadpool & Wolverine Is Already Breaking Box-Office Records Before Its Opening Weekend
Read More

Unsurprisingly, Deadpool & Wolverine Is Already Breaking Box-Office Records Before Its Opening Weekend

Ahead of what is expected to be a record-breaking opening weekend, Deadpool & Wolverine has already pulled in some impressive box-office numbers from Thursday previews in the US. The biggest Thursday opening of the year--beating Inside Out 2's $13 million record--Deadpool and Wolverine brought in $38.5 million in domestic ticket sales. According to Variety, this
JD Vance Defends Childless Cat Lady Remarks
Read More

JD Vance Defends Childless Cat Lady Remarks

Senator JD Vance defended his comments about Democratic women in his first comments addressing a wave of backlash he has faced in recent days. Vance, who is former President Donald Trump's running mate, faced criticism for saying the United States is run by "childless cat ladies" during an interview with Fox News in 2021 while