Trump Palace board sues over ‘reckless’ NYC Whole Foods, Five Below construction that allegedly caused leaks, floods

Ongoing construction for a new Whole Foods and Five Below discount store is putting the tenants of Trump Palace on the Upper East Side at risk, its condo board said in a lawsuit. Demolition work caused flooding in the ritzy building’s basement, electrical room and garage, and drilling led to gas leaks that left its

Ongoing construction for a new Whole Foods and Five Below discount store is putting the tenants of Trump Palace on the Upper East Side at risk, its condo board said in a lawsuit.

Demolition work caused flooding in the ritzy building’s basement, electrical room and garage, and drilling led to gas leaks that left its over 400 residents without working stoves and clothes dryers, according to the Manhattan Supreme Court filing.

Adding insult to injury, construction workers last week damaged the tower’s “impossible to replace” granite façade when they unlawfully drilled signs into it, according to the litigation.

The condo board at Trump Palace on the Upper East Side is suing Whole Foods and Five Below over construction work that it says caused a gas leak, gas line damage, flooding and other issues in the building. Helayne Seidman
The 55-story Trump Palace on the Upper East Side is the tallest in the neighborhood and features multi-million dollar penthouses at the very top. Helayne Seidman

When the building’s manager tried to talk to the foreman about the signage, he was told to “get the f–k out,” the building’s board said in the legal papers.

The work has been done with “reckless disregard” for residents and caused “substantial and ongoing damage” to the luxury high-rise, the board charges.

It is demanding work, including jack-hammering and drilling, stop while the investigation and efforts to restore gas is underway.

The suit also seeks at least $500,000 each from Whole Foods, Five Below and Regency Centers, the owner of the commercial unit below the condo.

The stores were slated to open in September.

Lawyers for the stores did not immediately respond to questions from The Post.

The Board of Managers of the Trump Palace has filed a lawsuit against Whole Foods, Five Below and Regency Centers claiming that ongoing construction has caused significant damage to the property. Helayne Seidman
A Five Below store is also in the works for the Upper East Side space that previously was a Food Emporium. Helayne Seidman
The condo board says there have been gas shutoffs in the building and that decades-old granite has been damaged by drilling. Helayne Seidman

The 55-story tower on East 69th Street is touted as the tallest building in the neighborhood and offers full-floor penthouse apartments for as much as $6.9 million, along with a separate wing of town home-style units on East 68th Street.

The building was designed by Frank Williams and constructed in 1990.

Total
0
Shares
Leave a Reply
Related Posts
Judge in Trump election interference case sets Aug. 16 hearing date for pretrial schedule
Read More

Judge in Trump election interference case sets Aug. 16 hearing date for pretrial schedule

WASHINGTON — The judge overseeing the election interference case against former President Donald Trump scheduled an August conference with defense and prosecution teams to determine a schedule for pretrial proceedings. In the Saturday filing, U.S. District Judge Tanya Chutkan announced that the conference would be scheduled for Aug. 16. In the same one-page filing, Chutkan
‘It means everything’: Emotional O’Hoppes celebrate dad being cancer-free’It means everything’: Emotional O’Hoppes celebrate dad being cancer-free
Read More

‘It means everything’: Emotional O’Hoppes celebrate dad being cancer-free’It means everything’: Emotional O’Hoppes celebrate dad being cancer-free

'It means everything': Emotional O'Hoppes celebrate dad being cancer-free 2:28 AM UTC Rhett Bollinger @RhettBollinger Share share-square-688840 NEW YORK -- A little rain couldn’t put a damper on a special day for the O’Hoppe family on Wednesday at Yankee Stadium. The family celebrated Angels catcher Logan O'Hoppe's father, Michael, being cancer-free for two years and
San Francisco’s dramatic U-turn over homeless problem is laid bare in new video – and liberal residents are furious
Read More

San Francisco’s dramatic U-turn over homeless problem is laid bare in new video – and liberal residents are furious

Mayor London Breed's election year crackdown on San Francisco's street sleepers has appalled some of her keenest supporters after video showed the reality on the ground. The Democrat mayor promised a 'very aggressive' clear-up operation after the Supreme Court ruled earlier this month that removing a sleeping equipment from a public space was not unconstitutional.