Trump promises more outdoor rallies despite Secret Service warning after assassination attempt

Former President Trump said he would continue holding large outdoor rallies just two weeks after he was nearly killed at one by a would-be assassin. “I WILL CONTINUE TO DO OUTDOOR RALLIES, AND SECRET SERVICE HAS AGREED TO SUBSTANTIALLY STEP UP THEIR OPERATION,” Trump posted in a defiant missive to Truth Social Saturday. “THEY ARE

Former President Trump said he would continue holding large outdoor rallies just two weeks after he was nearly killed at one by a would-be assassin.

“I WILL CONTINUE TO DO OUTDOOR RALLIES, AND SECRET SERVICE HAS AGREED TO SUBSTANTIALLY STEP UP THEIR OPERATION,” Trump posted in a defiant missive to Truth Social Saturday.

“THEY ARE VERY CAPABLE OF DOING SO. NO ONE CAN EVER BE ALLOWED TO STOP OR IMPEDE FREE SPEECH OR GATHERING!!!” he added.

Former President Trump has vowed to begin holding outdoor rallies again. REUTERS
Secret Service chief Kimberley Cheatle was forced to resign after Trump was nearly assassinated. ZUMAPRESS.com
The Secret Service has already warned Trump against doing outdoor rallies. AP

Earlier this week the Secret Service urged Trump to forgo outdoor rallies due to their added security risks after Thomas Matthew Crooks, 20, opened fire at the former president’s rally in Butler, Pa., on July 13.

Trump was grazed in the ear while retired firefighter Corey Comperatore, 50, was fatally shot. Marine veteran David Dutch, 57, and retired grandfather, James Copenhaver, 74, were also seriously injured.

Crooks was shot dead by a Secret Service sniper.

In the days following Trump’s brush with death, the Secret Service has come under scrutiny for security lapses. Agency director Kimberly Cheatle resigned Tuesday after intense questioning from bipartisan Congressional members.

Trump’s Truth Social post is also a vote of confidence for the agency at large, after a number of critics have urged him to augment his campaign with private security.

Trump’s daughter-in-law, Lara Trump, now serving as chair of the Republican National Committee, told The Post she had complete confidence in the agency to keep the former president safe.

Total
0
Shares
Leave a Reply
Related Posts
Ugly scenes as France edge out Argentina in quarter-final
Read More

Ugly scenes as France edge out Argentina in quarter-final

Ugly scenes as France edge out Argentina in quarter-final Media caption, 'Bedlam in Bordeaux' - Fighting breaks out at full-time Joe Rindl BBC Sport journalist Steven Sutcliffe BBC Sport Journalist Published 2 August 2024 France set up an Olympic men's football semi-final with Egypt after beating Argentina 1-0 in a hostile quarter-final marred by ugly
Keir Starmer to hold crisis talks with police chiefs in No10 after second night of violence following Southport knife attack – with over 100 thugs arrested, police cars torched and more officers injured
Read More

Keir Starmer to hold crisis talks with police chiefs in No10 after second night of violence following Southport knife attack – with over 100 thugs arrested, police cars torched and more officers injured

Keir Starmer is holding crisis talks with police today after a second night of rioting following the Southport knife attack. The PM has summoned chiefs to No10 as thugs again took to the streets in  London , Hartlepool and Manchester. In the capital, more than 100 people were arrested after crowds in Whitehall launched beer cans