Trump Says He Is ‘Entitled To Personal Attacks’ Against Harris Despite Republican Calls To Cease Insults

Forbes Business Breaking Trump Says He Is ‘Entitled To Personal Attacks’ Against Harris Despite Republican Calls To Cease Insults Antonio Pequeño IV Forbes Staff Pequeño is a breaking news reporter who covers tech and more. Following Aug 15, 2024, 07:14pm EDT Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Share to Linkedin Topline Former President Donald Trump
Trump Says He Is ‘Entitled To Personal Attacks’ Against Harris Despite Republican Calls To Cease Insults

Trump Says He Is ‘Entitled To Personal Attacks’ Against Harris Despite Republican Calls To Cease Insults

Following

Topline

Former President Donald Trump doubled down on his personal attacks against Vice President Kamala Harris, saying in a Thursday press conference he thinks he is “entitled to personal attacks” following calls from Republicans allies for him to quit the insults in favor of a revamped focus on policy ahead of November.

Key Facts

A reporter asked whether Trump agreed with calls to stop the personal attacks, to which Trump suggested he has levied insults at Harris because he is angry at her “because of what she’s done to the country.”

“I don’t have a lot of respect for her,” Trump said, noting Harris’ recent comments calling him and his running mate, Ohio Sen. JD Vance, “ weird.”

Trump lobbed the same insult at Harris’ policies, calling them weird and propping up his own policies regarding the border and taxes.

Trump’s comments come after figures such as former Trump White House aide Peter Navarro and former Republican candidate Vivek Ramaswamy have called for the former president to focus on policy instead of trading blows with Harris, with Navarro arguing in a podcast appearance this week that personal attacks hurt Trump among swing voters.

Former House Speaker Kevin McCarthy, R-Calif., told Fox News this week he believes Trump has to, “Stop questioning the size of her crowds and start questioning her positions.”

Get Forbes Breaking News Text Alerts: We’re launching text message alerts so you’ll always know the biggest stories shaping the day’s headlines. Text “Alerts” to (201) 335-0739 or sign up here.


Key Background

Trump’s personal attacks on Harris have revolved around her intelligence, laugh and race, as the former president suggested earlier this month she cannot be Black because of her acknowledgment of her Indian heritage. Trump received bipartisan scrutiny over his comment, which he defended in a Truth Social post calling Harris a “phony” and “not black” alongside a video of Harris and Indian American actress Mindy Kaling cooking Indian food. Harris is leading Trump in several polls by two to five points, including ones taken by Monmouth University, Economist/YouGov and Reuters/Ipsos, and is ahead of the former president by one point in a national-head-to-head contest, according to RealClearPolitics’ polling average, though Trump led Harris by one point in a recent Fox News poll.

Further Reading

Trump Pushes Back On ‘Weird’ Label From Kamala Harris And Tim Walz At Bozeman, Montana, Rally (Forbes)

Why Harris and Democrats keep calling Trump and Vance ‘weird’ (AP)

Follow me on  Twitter or  LinkedInSend me a secure  tip
Total
0
Shares
Leave a Reply
Related Posts
EXCLUSIVEWill Strictly go the way of Top Gear? Insiders fear show will be taken off air because BBC bosses have ‘lost control’ of stars and are ‘hopeless at managing firestorms’
Read More

EXCLUSIVEWill Strictly go the way of Top Gear? Insiders fear show will be taken off air because BBC bosses have ‘lost control’ of stars and are ‘hopeless at managing firestorms’

Strictly Come Dancing could go the way of Top Gear because the BBC has ‘lost control’ of the stars at the heart of the training scandal, a corporation insider warned MailOnline today. The sacking of Jeremy Clarkson in 2015 led to the motoring show being taken off air and a crash involving Freddie Flintoff means it is
The storm that Britain thought was nuclear war: Relive the carnage of October 15 1987 as 18 were killed and the country lost fifteen million trees… and all faith in Michael Fish
Read More

The storm that Britain thought was nuclear war: Relive the carnage of October 15 1987 as 18 were killed and the country lost fifteen million trees… and all faith in Michael Fish

One night 37 years ago, hurricane-force winds ravaged Britain. But some of us appear to have thought something worse was hitting the country. Forecasters had failed to predict the severity of the worst storm for almost 300 years, which killed 18 people.  Now recent reports have revealed that many feared nuclear war had broken out
Summer COVID Surge: Cases Rise In 25 States—But New Vaccines On The Way
Read More

Summer COVID Surge: Cases Rise In 25 States—But New Vaccines On The Way

Forbes Business Breaking Summer COVID Surge: Cases Rise In 25 States—But New Vaccines On The Way Mary Whitfill Roeloffs Forbes Staff Mary Roeloffs is a Forbes breaking news reporter covering pop culture. Following Aug 18, 2024, 12:03pm EDT Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Share to Linkedin Topline A summer COVID-19 surge has led to