Trusted Adelaide accountant Jason Richard Poser fleeced $2million from his clients to feed 100-bets-a-day gambling addiction

An accountant stole over $2million by forging tax bills to feed his ‘all-consuming’ gambling habit that saw him placing up to 100 bets with a racing and sports app every day.   Jason Richard Poser, 35, faced Adelaide’s District Court on Friday for a sentencing hearing over stealing the money from 85 separate superannuation funds between
Trusted Adelaide accountant Jason Richard Poser fleeced $2million from his clients to feed 100-bets-a-day gambling addiction

An accountant stole over $2million by forging tax bills to feed his ‘all-consuming’ gambling habit that saw him placing up to 100 bets with a racing and sports app every day.  

Jason Richard Poser, 35, faced Adelaide‘s District Court on Friday for a sentencing hearing over stealing the money from 85 separate superannuation funds between 2020 and 2022 while working for chartered accountants SuperGuardian.

He pleaded guilty to 34 counts of theft. 

Prosecutor Frank Niemann told the court Poser stole amounts of $317,000 and $400,000 from Davco Nominees.

The victims, who trusted SuperGuardian to administer their self-managed super funds, were told by Poser the sums were owed to the Australian Taxation Office.

‘It’s after that has occurred he has then gone on to the ATO’s website or gone into each of the accounts, changed the refund details and returned the money to himself,’ Mr Niemann said, according to the Adelaide Advertiser. 

‘The amounts stolen are from self-managed super funds, which is money that one would assume is for the victims to comfortably retire.’

Poser would also steal from one client to pay another, the court heard.

Jason Richard Poser, 35, has pleaded guilty stealing over $2million from his accountancy clients

Jason Richard Poser, 35, has pleaded guilty stealing over $2million from his accountancy clients

In an apology letter Poser read to the court, he said he was truly sorry for his actions. 

‘The financial aspect was damaging enough but the shock, anger and disappointment of being betrayed by someone you had every right to trust and who should have had your best interests front of mind,’ he said.

Poser stated he was acting from a place of desperation and sadness.

He also recognised that he had damaged the reputation of SuperGuardian.

In arguing for a sentence of home detention, Poser’s lawyer Michael Woods said even though his client had previously suffered ‘an all-consuming addiction’, he had ceased gambling for nearly two years.

Mr Woods said Poser was recorded as placing 16,638 Sportsbet bets in 2020, which then escalated to 24,037 in 2021 and 26,492 in 2022.

Power placed up to 100 bets a day with the stolen funds using a racing and sports gambling app

Power placed up to 100 bets a day with the stolen funds using a racing and sports gambling app

‘This is like 80, 100 bets a day. He can’t stop,’ Mr Woods said.

Mr Woods said Poser had worked at SuperGuardian since before he was 18 and had climbed the ladder to be a manager.

‘He’s lost his career, he’s ashamed, he’s embarrassed, his future is in jeopardy,’ Mr Woods said. 

‘He’s lost the trust of those who he respected in his workplace and others, he’s lost his self respect.’

In the grip of his addiction Poser had continued to steal even though he knew that one day he would get a ‘horrible phone that someone had noticed’. 

‘It was always going to fall over and it was always going to end up showing the paper trail,’ Mr Woods told the court.

There was no possibility that Poser would be able repay the stolen sums, according to his lawyer. 

Poser will be sentenced next month.

Total
0
Shares
Leave a Reply
Related Posts
Kevin Spacey’s Baltimore home sells at discounted price after actor revealed he had no money and had to sell up following sexual assault case
Read More

Kevin Spacey’s Baltimore home sells at discounted price after actor revealed he had no money and had to sell up following sexual assault case

Kevin Spacey's $5.6 million Baltimore home has been sold at a staggering discount just weeks after he claimed he was being forced to sell up due to the cost of his high-profile sexual assault case. The actor sobbed as he recently told talk show host Piers Morgan that his Charm City home was being put up
Surveillance video shows Las Vegas man’s very strange behavior ‘moments before he killed man at bus stop and ate victim’s face’
Read More

Surveillance video shows Las Vegas man’s very strange behavior ‘moments before he killed man at bus stop and ate victim’s face’

A 29-year-old Las Vegas man hung out in a parking lot and acted strangely before attacking his victim and eating his face, surveillance shows.  Colin Czech, 29, was seen doing push-ups, attacking and mocking a 7-Eleven employee in a parking lot, and acting abnormally before he allegedly killed Kenneth Brown near a Las Vegas bus stop on
King Charles and Queen Camilla ‘profoundly shocked’ by ‘utterly horrific’ Southport knife rampage as William and Kate send ‘love, thoughts and prayers’ to families of two children killed in ‘horrid and heinous attack’
Read More

King Charles and Queen Camilla ‘profoundly shocked’ by ‘utterly horrific’ Southport knife rampage as William and Kate send ‘love, thoughts and prayers’ to families of two children killed in ‘horrid and heinous attack’

The King and Queen have sent their 'most heartfelt condolences' to the families of the two children killed in an 'utterly horrific' knife rampage at a Taylor Swift-themed dance workshop this morning. Charles and Camilla said they were 'profoundly shocked' after a hooded knifeman walked into a dance studio in Southport, Merseyside, just before midday and launched