Venezuela’s Autocrat Is Declared Winner in Tainted Election

Venezuela’s authoritarian leader, Nicolás Maduro, was declared the winner of the country’s tumultuous presidential election early Monday, despite enormous momentum from an opposition movement that had been convinced this was the year it would oust Mr. Maduro’s socialist-inspired party. The vote was riddled with irregularities, and citizens were angrily protesting the government’s actions at voting
Venezuela’s Autocrat Is Declared Winner in Tainted Election

Venezuela’s authoritarian leader, Nicolás Maduro, was declared the winner of the country’s tumultuous presidential election early Monday, despite enormous momentum from an opposition movement that had been convinced this was the year it would oust Mr. Maduro’s socialist-inspired party.

The vote was riddled with irregularities, and citizens were angrily protesting the government’s actions at voting centers even as the results were announced.

With 80 percent of voting stations counted, the country’s election authority claimed that Mr. Maduro had received 51.2 percent of the vote, while the main opposition candidate, Edmundo González, had received 44.2 percent.

Mr. Maduro’s government has invented election results before, and this tally was immediately called into question by the opposition and by several officials in the region.

,

“We won and the whole world knows it,” the country’s most popular opposition leader, María Corina Machado, told reporters in Caracas, the capital, early Monday. She called the declared result “impossible,” given information her team had collected about turnout.

Secretary of State Antony J. Blinken, speaking to reporters in Tokyo, said the U.S. government had “serious concerns that the result announced does not reflect the will or the votes of the Venezuelan people.”

Total
0
Shares
Leave a Reply
Related Posts
Europe’s biggest phone manufacturer plans new device that will be an alternative to smartphones for Gen Z teens embracing digital detox – as study reveals most parents REGRET buying one for their child
Read More

Europe’s biggest phone manufacturer plans new device that will be an alternative to smartphones for Gen Z teens embracing digital detox – as study reveals most parents REGRET buying one for their child

Europe's biggest phone manufacturer is planning a new device for the Gen Z teens embracing digital detox as an alternative to traditional smartphones. Human Mobile Devices (HMD) vows that users wouldn't be able to install social media platforms like Facebook or TikTok on the planned device. Its chief marketing officer, Lars Silberbauer, explained that the
Music exec faces shocking rape allegations as two glamorous local artists claim he drugged them in his stunning $6.5M Joshua Tree mansion
Read More

Music exec faces shocking rape allegations as two glamorous local artists claim he drugged them in his stunning $6.5M Joshua Tree mansion

A music executive is facing rape allegations after two women claimed he drugged them inside his lavish $6.55 million Joshua Tree mansion in California.  Scott Leonard, 59, who touts himself as a former artist manager and major-label record executive, owns the unique cliffside Kellogg Doolittle home nestled in the mountains, where he often hosts celebrity-filled