Who is the ‘Ketamine Queen’ accused of supplying Matthew Perry?

Who is the ‘Ketamine Queen’ accused of supplying Matthew Perry? Jasveen Sangha’s social media Ms Sangha “only deal[s] with high end and celebs,” the indictment quoted her co-accused Erik Fleming as saying Dubbed the “Ketamine Queen” by US prosecutors, alleged drug dealer Jasveen Sangha is one of five people who US officials say supplied ketamine
Who is the ‘Ketamine Queen’ accused of supplying Matthew Perry?

Who is the ‘Ketamine Queen’ accused of supplying Matthew Perry?

Jasveen Sangha's social media Picture from Jasveen Sangha's Instagram account, dated to May 2018.Jasveen Sangha’s social media
Ms Sangha “only deal[s] with high end and celebs,” the indictment quoted her co-accused Erik Fleming as saying

Dubbed the “Ketamine Queen” by US prosecutors, alleged drug dealer Jasveen Sangha is one of five people who US officials say supplied ketamine to Friends star Matthew Perry, exploiting his drug addiction for profit, and leading to his overdose death.

Ms Sangha now faces nine charges, including conspiracy to distribute ketamine and distribution of ketamine resulting in death.

The American-British dual-national, who wore a Nirvana jumper for her court appearance, pleaded not guilty to the charges on Thursday.

Her bail request was denied by US officials and she will remain in custody until her trial in October.

The indictment alleges that Ms Sangha’s distribution of ketamine on 24 October 2023 caused Perry’s death.

Ketamine is a dissociative anaesthetic that has some hallucinogenic effects, according to the US Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA). It can distort perception of sight and sound and makes the user feel disconnected and not in control.

It is used as an injectable anaesthetic for humans and animals because it makes patients feel detached from their pain and environment.

The substance is supposed to be administered only by a physician, investigators say, and patients who have taken the drug should be monitored by a professional because of its possible harmful effects.

Ms Sangha is alleged to have supplied ketamine from her “stash house” since at least 2019.

Her North Hollywood home was a “drug-selling emporium”, Martin Estrada, the US attorney for California’s Central District, told a news conference on Thursday.

More than 80 vials of ketamine were allegedly found there in a search, along with thousands of pills that included methamphetamine, cocaine and Xanax.

The home, called the “Sangha Stash House” in the indictment, was where she is alleged to have packaged and distributed drugs.

She “only deal[s] with high end and celebs,” the indictment quoted her co-accused Erik Fleming as saying of Ms Sangha.

At the same time, she lived a jetsetter life which she shared widely on social media.

Ms Sangha is said to have mixed with celebrities socially as well, with one of her friends telling the Daily Mail she attended the Golden Globes and the Oscars.

Jasveen Sangha's social media Picture of alleged dealer Jasveen Sangha in Japan.Jasveen Sangha’s social media
In a highlight reel on Instagram titled ‘Japan 23’, Ms Sangha posted a story on 14 November 2023 – a couple of weeks after Perry’s death

Shortly after Perry’s overdose she posted pictures depicting her extravagant lifestyle, including parties and a trip to Japan and Mexico.

And the day before arrests were announced, her social media activity suggests she went to a hairdresser and dyed her hair purple.

The Instagram account where these posts were shared was confirmed as belonging to her by a spokesman for the US Attorney’s Office Central District of California.

Prosecutors claim Ms Sangha came to supply ketamine to Perry after fellow defendant Dr Salvador Plasencia initially learned that the actor was interested in the drug. Dr Plasencia sourced it from Dr Mark Chavez, another defendant in the case who had previously operated a ketamine clinic.

They allege Dr Plasencia also taught Perry’s live-in assistant, co-accused Kenneth Iwamasa, how to inject Perry with ketamine.

Beginning in October 2023, Ms Sangha began supplying Mr Iwamasa with ketamine and prosecutors say she knew the ketamine she distributed could be deadly.

“These defendants cared more about profiting off of Mr Perry than caring for his well-being,” said Mr Estrada.

He also alleged that Ms Sangha was a “major source of supply for ketamine to others as well as Perry”.

US District Court Evidence in plastic bags on a blonde wood floorUS District Court
A photo from the indictment showing alleged evidence discovered at what authorities have called the “Sangha stash house”

If convicted of all charges in Perry’s case, Sangha would face a mandatory minimum sentence of 10 years in federal prison and a statutory maximum sentence of life imprisonment, the justice department says.

US authorities say they also uncovered Ms Sangha’s alleged connection to another overdose death, this time in 2019.

Court documents suggest she knew about the dangers of ketamine after selling it to a customer named Cody McLaury, who died of an overdose after buying the drug.

She was reported to have been contacted by one of his family members, who texted her saying: “The ketamine you sold my brother killed him. It’s listed as the cause of death.”

Days later Ms Sangha is said to have searched on Google: “Can ketamine be listed as a cause of death?”, according to investigators.

Authorities say Ms Sangha will face charges in that case.

Total
0
Shares
Leave a Reply
Related Posts
New Real Estate Rules Sow Confusion, at Least in Short Term
Read More

New Real Estate Rules Sow Confusion, at Least in Short Term

An hour before the open house on Saturday afternoon, a real estate agent paced across the dark bamboo floors, straightening the throw blanket, fluffing the pillows and lighting a scented candle. The last-minute sprucing at the $1.2 million condo in Jersey City, N.J., was exactly what agents have done at open houses for decades before
Vance Accuses Tim Walz Of National Guard ‘Stolen Valor’: The Heavily Contested Allegations Explained
Read More

Vance Accuses Tim Walz Of National Guard ‘Stolen Valor’: The Heavily Contested Allegations Explained

Forbes Business Breaking Vance Accuses Tim Walz Of National Guard ‘Stolen Valor’: The Heavily Contested Allegations Explained Sara Dorn Forbes Staff Sara Dorn is a Forbes news reporter who covers politics. Following Aug 7, 2024, 04:54pm EDT Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Share to Linkedin Topline Republican vice presidential nominee, Ohio Sen. JD Vance
The Labor politicians in the front running for a promotion as Anthony Albanese reshuffles his cabinet
Read More

The Labor politicians in the front running for a promotion as Anthony Albanese reshuffles his cabinet

With ministers Linda Burney and Brendan O'Connor announcing they will not run in the next federal election, two spots have opened up on the Labor Government's front bench. Indigenous Australians Minister Ms Burney and Skills Minister Mr O'Connor are both immediately stepping back from their roles, allowing Anthony Albanese to make his first reshuffle since
Should Dutch child rapist Steven van de Velde be banned from starring in the Olympics or has he been ‘punished enough’? Spectators in Paris are divided over controversial decision to let disgraced athlete compete
Read More

Should Dutch child rapist Steven van de Velde be banned from starring in the Olympics or has he been ‘punished enough’? Spectators in Paris are divided over controversial decision to let disgraced athlete compete

Olympic spectators are divided about the controversial decision to let Dutch child rapist Steven Van de Velde compete. The 29-year-old Dutch athlete was sentenced to four years in prison in 2016 after pleading guilty to raping a 12-year-old British girl in August 2014 when he was 19. Van de Velde had travelled from Amsterdam to